Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE!

Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! (http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/)
-   How to make... (http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-make/)
-   -   Quick question....... (http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-make/33315-quick-question.html)

maeve 11-09-2009 05:50

Quick question.......

Ok, so i have about 100+ mini bows made and some of the ribbon is thin/soft. I wanna bake them to stiffen them but with this being my first bow experience i'm not entirely sure what to do. I know i put them in the oven for 25 minutes and spray them with starch but do i put the starch on first? I know this probably seems like a dumb question but i don't wanna ruin all my hard work:rolleyes:

beansnana 11-09-2009 05:59

Re: Quick question.......

Maeve, I think I would bake them first, and then starch when you take them out. You may not even need to starch them

Quote:

Originally Posted by maeve (Post 359390)
Ok, so i have about 100+ mini bows made and some of the ribbon is thin/soft. I wanna bake them to stiffen them but with this being my first bow experience i'm not entirely sure what to do. I know i put them in the oven for 25 minutes and spray them with starch but do i put the starch on first? I know this probably seems like a dumb question but i don't wanna ruin all my hard work:rolleyes:

reagansribbons 11-09-2009 06:11

I starch before I bake....everyone here seems to do something different though....do one of each way and see which way you like better!! :)

jessfaacee 11-09-2009 06:13

I starch then bake.
275 for 20 minutes.

hypatia23 11-09-2009 07:01

I bake, THEN starch. I've tried starching first and some of my ribbon browned.:(
Maybe try a couple b-4 doing the whole batch.

maeve 11-09-2009 07:11

Thank ya ladies:) I thought there was only one way but you all do it different! I'm gonna test a couple each way and i'll let ya know what worked for me;)

jtgarrido 11-09-2009 07:12

I only hairspray, no baking!

tinyt19784 11-09-2009 07:14

i just starch mine no baking at all ( except korkers :) )

amberry 11-09-2009 07:43

Hairspray alone works wonderfully, just spray and air dry

I also air dry after starching. Baking works well and is much quicker, but I have randomly had browning on some ribbons and flaking even when I don't do anything different then times when I have had great results.

So unless I am super pressed for time I spray, either hairspray or starch, and air dry

lilredsmiles 11-09-2009 08:05

So funny! We all do it so differently. I suppose the brand and type of starch will make a difference. I imagine an aerosol starch will burn more easily because the propellants make it flammable. I starch with diluted laundry starch (50/50 with water). I can't use hairspray on bows here. They get sticky, I tried it. It rains and drizzles all the time here in the pacific NW of the US.