New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-06-2009, 04:59

Default V-cut heat seal?

How do you all seal your v-cut ribbon? I want to do v-cut because it looks so nice but I don't because 1) I have trouble cutting it evenly and 2) when I have tried to heat seal it it ends up looking horrible. I have used both a lighter and a wood burner. I wasn't sure if I was missing something, needed more practice, or if most of you use fray check. I'm REALLY hoping there is a way to heat seal it decently. Fray check always leaves wet looking spots at the end of the ribbon. I feel heat sealed looks SO much more professional.
Thanks
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 11-06-2009, 05:32

Default Re: V-cut heat seal?

I use Fray Check & have never had any problems with it. It doesn't discolor my ribbon at all, but the couple times I was worried about it I just tested it first on a scrap piece of ribbon.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaandbabies View Post
How do you all seal your v-cut ribbon? I want to do v-cut because it looks so nice but I don't because 1) I have trouble cutting it evenly and 2) when I have tried to heat seal it it ends up looking horrible. I have used both a lighter and a wood burner. I wasn't sure if I was missing something, needed more practice, or if most of you use fray check. I'm REALLY hoping there is a way to heat seal it decently. Fray check always leaves wet looking spots at the end of the ribbon. I feel heat sealed looks SO much more professional.
Thanks
1. When I cut it, I fold it in half length-wise and cut a diagonal, making a v-cut when opened.

2. I heat seal mine with a woodburner - it's the best method I've found. How are you applying the woodburner? The best attachment is that flat diagonal one that's pointed on the end (sorry if my description sucks ). I briefly apply the flat part, with the pointed end in the center of the v-cut, on 1 side and then exactly the same way on the other. Works perfectly!

Last edited by Krysia; 11-06-2009 at 05:37.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:57

1)I cut by folding the end on the ribbon in half and snipping the corner off to make the v cut

2)wood burner to heat seal. You don't have to keep it on there for very long as it melts the ends and doesn't take long to do that.

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Old 11-06-2009, 05:59

I too fold and make the diagonal cut and seal mine very quickly with the lighter. Looks good unless I accidentally burn too long!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
1. When I cut it, I fold it in half length-wise and cut a diagonal, making a v-cut when opened.

2. I heat seal mine with a woodburner - it's the best method I've found. How are you applying the woodburner? The best attachment is that flat diagonal one that's pointed on the end (sorry if my description sucks ). I briefly apply the flat part, with the pointed end in the center of the v-cut, on 1 side and then exactly the same way on the other. Works perfectly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste1977 View Post
1)I cut by folding the end on the ribbon in half and snipping the corner off to make the v cut

2)wood burner to heat seal. You don't have to keep it on there for very long as it melts the ends and doesn't take long to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoose View Post
I too fold and make the diagonal cut and seal mine very quickly with the lighter. Looks good unless I accidentally burn too long!
I agree with them, this is the best way.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:55

To cut the V, I fold in half and cut.

Now, keep it folded in half, but relax the hold a little just so the cut edges are no longer touching. Then use the barrel of the wood burner on each cut side, one at a time. The more open you are holding the V, the harder it will be to get the barrel against the cut edge. Release as soon as possible or the very center of the V will want to remain folded/creased.

ETA: you could also use a lighter in the same way, but you would aim it at both sides at once with the ribbon almost folded in half.

Last edited by ruby2; 11-07-2009 at 05:56. Reason: to add the ETA above
Old 11-09-2009, 11:55

Thanks everyone.
I think I was just being quite OCD about it and leaving it there too long. I'm having better luck now.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby2 View Post
To cut the V, I fold in half and cut.

Now, keep it folded in half, but relax the hold a little just so the cut edges are no longer touching. Then use the barrel of the wood burner on each cut side, one at a time. The more open you are holding the V, the harder it will be to get the barrel against the cut edge. Release as soon as possible or the very center of the V will want to remain folded/creased.

ETA: you could also use a lighter in the same way, but you would aim it at both sides at once with the ribbon almost folded in half.
That's exactly how I do mine, but with the lighter. Took me a lot of trial and error to figure it out too!

Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif