New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-04-2009, 06:49

Default korker from scratch?

Hi everyone, I would like to know what do you prefer to do, prepare your ribbon to make a korker bow or buy the ribbon ready to make your bow from a supplier?
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:02

Default Re: korker from scratch?

When I finally get around to it I will probably start by buying. To me, making it seems like it will be such a PITA! Especially since I would want to use so many different colors to make tons of different styles...
Old 11-04-2009, 08:07

I'm a diy kinda gal. I want things done MY way. Starch. The right temperature. Not smooshed in a bag mailed to me. I'm a stinker

Old 11-04-2009, 08:11

I buy 100 yard rolls of 3/8" ribbon so I really dont see the need to spend extra on readymade korker ribbon. I have always made my own

Krista
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18

Do you starch your ribbon while it's on the dowl and before baking? How many strand of ribbon do you use per korker and how long do you cut? Sorry for the questions. I'm new and just navigating my way around this place. LOL I'm finding this form is like a big mall with tonns of stores. I keep getting lost. LOL

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26

I make mine as I use them, because I like them fresh. And I like them done my way!

:0)

The curls start to get loose after awhile.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2cherubs View Post
Do you starch your ribbon while it's on the dowl and before baking? How many strand of ribbon do you use per korker and how long do you cut? Sorry for the questions. I'm new and just navigating my way around this place. LOL I'm finding this form is like a big mall with tonns of stores. I keep getting lost. LOL

Thanks in advance.
Its OK! We were all newbies once
  • I use 6 12" dowels per korker
  • I wrap my 3/8 ribbon on 3/8" dowels
  • (or 1/4" ribbon on the 1/2" dowels for gymbo korker pony o's!!!!)
  • saturate by spritzing on a 50/50 mix of sta-flo starch & water (in the laundry aisle, big blue jug. Cheap!)
  • Bake at 275 for 20 min (unless white or printed, do 260)
  • Then cut I cut each 12" strand into 4 even segments that are 3" each (Easy to do, just fold in half & cut, then fold each cut half in half and cut again. No measuring required)
  • Heat seal all ends
  • I then stitch through the center of each 3" segment so they are stacked in a spiral if that makes sense. Stack them on the needle one at a time and fan them around.
  • Then cinch, tie off and glue onto a clippie.
  • If you want to, you can use a scrap piece of unkorked 3/8 at the base of your korker (thread it onto your needle before you put your korks on) so you can glue this over the clip to secure just like a bow center.

So that makes 6 12" strands x 4 segments = 36 3" strands per korker.

Oh, and I've been on here for over 2 years and I still get lost

Old 11-04-2009, 08:33

Do mine pretty much like lillred, except I do my cuts at 2.5" for my regular sized korkers. I do larges at 3", and my smalls at 2".
Old 11-04-2009, 08:58

I like to make them myself, too. I can't stand paying for something that I can do myself! I'm just stubborn like that.

I bake mine the same was lilred described. It works great!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:21

I was intimated too to make my own at first but found out it was actually pretty easy to do. The sense of achievement after is great too. I'm also way too cheap to pay for something I can make myself.
Sponsored Links