Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 05:29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 369
Default Re: korker from scratch?

thanks for this I have been making korkers but have never starched them, I will have to try and see how it is different from mine. I cook mine a little longer though but at the same temp.
__________________
~KL~
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 445
Default Re: korker from scratch?

My other oven was off like 50 degrees. I learned how to kork in the microwave. Yes, I was a dseperate woman, but it worked. Took time wrapping the ends with thread. HA!!! I have korked ribbon once with this new oven. It needs to be cleaned before I make any more though. Actually no, I can tent them like you do a turkey and would be ok. Just hate dirty ovens. Now I am home I can get ready to do that and the holiday season as well. Yes, by all means check your ovens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
Unfortunately, no. I've had bad luck with scrolls & white swiss dots. Especially navy, black & red. They just bleed if they get too hot. Reduce your temp to 260 & see if it bleeds. Just toy with it to see how low you can go and still get the poly chains to re-fuse properly in the polyester.



That is a great idea! I actually got one for Christmas one year & I should do a test run with it to see if my oven is accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10
khofkamp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,559
Default Re: korker from scratch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2cherubs View Post
Do you starch your ribbon while it's on the dowl and before baking? How many strand of ribbon do you use per korker and how long do you cut? Sorry for the questions. I'm new and just navigating my way around this place. LOL I'm finding this form is like a big mall with tonns of stores. I keep getting lost. LOL

Thanks in advance.
I cute about 1/2" shorter than I want the korker to be.

I use approx 20 pieces from my small korkers and approx 35 pieces for my bigger ones

I do not starch them, I think to get that stiffness you can bake or starch and since the korker ribbon is already baked, why starch?

Maybe there is a reason, but I do know at the last show I was at the other bow maker starched hers and I had a couple people come to my booth and comment on how they were worried the other lady's korkers were pokey and liked that mine weren't so stiff. I have never had one loose shape either.

Krista
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 144
Default Re: korker from scratch?

I don't starch mine either. I tried starching before, but I might have "over-killed" with it because they were really really stiff. As far as making mine vs purchasing, I do both. It also depends on how much time I have and how many orders I have to fill. If I am getting ready for a craft show, I will sometimes purchase mine. Since it takes so much time to make these, I just kinda do a time-management thing and let someone else kork some for me so that I can focus on other things. And....sometimes there is such darn cute printed/korked ribbon that I don't have and just gotta have
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:43
mothermayi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 2,519
Default Re: korker from scratch?

I like my korkers really stiff!! It's just a personal prefererance.
__________________
Support Hand-Crafted not Factory-Crafted
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009, 10:28
lilredsmiles's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The beautiful pacific northwest baby!
Posts: 1,760
Default Re: korker from scratch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansnana View Post
My other oven was off like 50 degrees. I learned how to kork in the microwave. Yes, I was a dseperate woman, but it worked. Took time wrapping the ends with thread. HA!!! I have korked ribbon once with this new oven. It needs to be cleaned before I make any more though. Actually no, I can tent them like you do a turkey and would be ok. Just hate dirty ovens. Now I am home I can get ready to do that and the holiday season as well. Yes, by all means check your ovens.
You know, I wonder if tenting is just good practice for lighter ribbon that tends to scorch. Hmmmm wonder about dots too. BTW I used my oven thermometer. It was only 2 degrees off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khofkamp View Post
I cute about 1/2" shorter than I want the korker to be.

I use approx 20 pieces from my small korkers and approx 35 pieces for my bigger ones

I do not starch them, I think to get that stiffness you can bake or starch and since the korker ribbon is already baked, why starch?

Maybe there is a reason, but I do know at the last show I was at the other bow maker starched hers and I had a couple people come to my booth and comment on how they were worried the other lady's korkers were pokey and liked that mine weren't so stiff. I have never had one loose shape either.

Krista
I prefer mine starched. They won't keep a snowball shape around a 2 year old if I don't . Tried this in my own testing lab ROFL.
I use sizing for this, not a heavy duty starch.
__________________
Moderator for Ribbonheaven. Click here to learn more about RibbonHeaven!




Last edited by lilredsmiles; 11-09-2009 at 10:31.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009, 11:22
NovemberMommy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 140
Default Re: korker from scratch?

I am so hoping that the more I make these the better they will start to look. They just look kinda off right now. Not really pretty or what the others I have seen look like. Thanks lilred for the tip. I guess this is one of those times where practice makes perfect. LOL.
__________________
Mommy to Emmilie Rose - 11/13/07
www.facebook.com/emmilieroseboutique
www.emmilieroseboutique.weebly.com
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2009, 12:25
lilredsmiles's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The beautiful pacific northwest baby!
Posts: 1,760
Default Re: korker from scratch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberMommy View Post
I am so hoping that the more I make these the better they will start to look. They just look kinda off right now. Not really pretty or what the others I have seen look like. Thanks lilred for the tip. I guess this is one of those times where practice makes perfect. LOL.
I'd love to see a pic to help you troubleshoot. You can pm me one if you don't feel comfortable posting it here.
__________________
Moderator for Ribbonheaven. Click here to learn more about RibbonHeaven!



Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2010, 02:24
juliaschmoolia's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: korker from scratch?

marking for future refrence
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2010, 10:56
happels's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 371
Red face Re: korker from scratch?

Lil Red, if I post my sad korkers here, will you help me troubleshoot, too?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger