http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-03-2009, 02:17

Question Bow's Browning?

Hello,
I'm having a problem when I bake my bows...At first I though it was the thread I was using so I changed to embroidery floss...Then I thought it was the starch I was using so I switch to stiffen stuff....But its still happening...I make my bows, spray them and then bake them at 200 for 20 mins...Any idea what would be causing the ribbon to essentially burn? I'm using a gas stove, does that make a difference? I have the rack in the center of the oven...Do people normally starch after baking? or starch then bake???
Thanks,
Amanda
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 11-03-2009, 02:25

Default Re: Bow's Browning?

Dont spray them before you bake them.
Bake them first then spray them.
See how that works.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugsbowtique View Post
Dont spray them before you bake them.
Bake them first then spray them.
See how that works.
I'll try that...THANKS!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:52

I've always sprayed them first and then baked. I'm also using a gas oven, but I've not had any problems with it burning or turning brown. The instructions I have say to bake them for 25 minutes at 200 degrees F, but I have to crank my oven up to 275-300. I think my oven it just goofy, though. What kind of starch are you using? I use the premixed liquid starch by Niagra that I got at Target. I think the most recommended is the Sta-Flo starch that you mix with water. The recipe is 1/2 starch and 1/2 water. I couldn't find it at Target, so I bought the Niagra. I hope you can get it to work for you. I'm so sorry you are having this problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:01

I'm actually using Stiffen Stuff by Beacon...am I supposed to be diluting it???
Old 11-03-2009, 03:05

I use Niagra too and I strach before baking. You may want to lower your temp and increase time...just a thought. Everyone's oven is different!!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:50

Ok, this is all new to me. Do you spray the starch and then bake the bow, when it is complete? Clip and all?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:55

I make the bow then attach to a clip...most people make the bow then add to the clip after baking, starching....
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda357 View Post
Hello,
I'm having a problem when I bake my bows...At first I though it was the thread I was using so I changed to embroidery floss...Then I thought it was the starch I was using so I switch to stiffen stuff....But its still happening...I make my bows, spray them and then bake them at 200 for 20 mins...Any idea what would be causing the ribbon to essentially burn? I'm using a gas stove, does that make a difference? I have the rack in the center of the oven...Do people normally starch after baking? or starch then bake???
Thanks,
Amanda
I've had bows burn too. Wash them in soap & water. It's the starch, not the ribbon that scorches. I second the Sta-flo 50/50 before baking. I bake at 260 for 20 min with no scorching (electric oven). You can do a spritz of Niagara after baking if it isn't stiff enough. If all else fails, do you have one of those tabletop turkey ovens? Those don't brown anything (turkeys included lol)

Old 11-03-2009, 05:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
I've had bows burn too. Wash them in soap & water. It's the starch, not the ribbon that scorches. I second the Sta-flo 50/50 before baking. I bake at 260 for 20 min with no scorching (electric oven). You can do a spritz of Niagara after baking if it isn't stiff enough. If all else fails, do you have one of those tabletop turkey ovens? Those don't brown anything (turkeys included lol)
The problem is that I can't find Sta-flo anywhere here....I had a hard enough time finding stiffen stuff....
Sponsored Links