http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-08-2009, 08:28

Default Re: help heat sealing ribbons

About 2 yrs ago I started making bows. My first korker bow o wow I didn't seal it because I dont know you had to and it looked a mess after. poor me lol rotfl
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 11-08-2009, 08:38

I need to get a woodburner, although I'm such a klutz I hope I don't get burned (it's hotter than a lighter isn't it?). I have already had some bad mishaps with the darn glue gun, good thing mines isn't even super hot.
I have just been using a lighter to seal the ends and lately it's been colder and my hands are shakier than usual LOL some of them have turned out horrible and I have to keep re-doing them.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomommyof4 View Post
You could also use a coupon at joann's or Michael's to get the woodburner at 40%-50% off. I use a woodburner too--I think it's a LOT easier than lighter. You cut your ribbon, and touch the barrel-- (not the tip) flat across the end of the ribbon. I can post a pic if you need JLMK. Good luck!!
Can you post a pic please? I got one but I'm not sure how to use it. And someone said they use a piece of glass underneath? Do I need something like that?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:33

I will post a picture tomorrow for you, if that's ok. I gotta get my kids to bed & I'm wiped out. Got a nasty cold/sinus combo going and I can hardly think straight
Old 11-22-2009, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarcheergirl View Post
I need to get a woodburner, although I'm such a klutz I hope I don't get burned (it's hotter than a lighter isn't it?). I have already had some bad mishaps with the darn glue gun, good thing mines isn't even super hot.
I have just been using a lighter to seal the ends and lately it's been colder and my hands are shakier than usual LOL some of them have turned out horrible and I have to keep re-doing them.

A great tip someone else posted a little while ago was to get a mug for your woodburner to put it in. The stupid wimpy stands that come with your woodburner are just pointless. I threw mine away. The mug is great, I also use one for my hot glue gun

Last edited by VioletDaisy; 11-22-2009 at 11:35. Reason: spelling :)
Old 11-22-2009, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarcheergirl View Post
I just got a woodburner, I really wish I would have used one before! So far I have only used it on korkers, but it literally cut my time in half!

Just watch out, I have been burned plenty with a lighter and the woodburner is 10X worse with even the slightest touch that the worst lighter burn I have ever had! LOL

Krista
Old 11-23-2009, 08:38

I think I need to try the woodburner. I've been making the woven headbands for a few years using a lighter to seal the edges of the ribbon. This year for some reason at least twice when a little girl has tried on a headband (or a mother has tried on on them) they have made the most hobbible face and said they were "scratchy" so of course "no sale", which I don't blame them for. When I checked the headband after they left both had a stiff, point that was indeed scratchy. I sure would not want my child wearing that, even though the mother did not look to see what was "sratchy" they just said ohhh ok and put it back. I pulled them off the display and checked the others. There were a few others like that were pretty boarder line. Now why this year they were different from the past I have no clue, but maybe I held the lighter to close to the ribbon or something. I always check the ribbon once I seal it and they all seemed fine right after I sealed them. I'm trying the woodburner for sure though. I love making the headbands.
Diane
Old 11-23-2009, 09:12

Use a candle and just go close to the flame. It's the heat off the candle that will seal your ends and do them close to the sink until you have the knack of it. Or you can use a woodburning tool. I do the candle method now because my DD is to close to me while I am working so I have it packed away for now. She liked try to grab it. Safety first.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Crafts View Post
I think I need to try the woodburner. I've been making the woven headbands for a few years using a lighter to seal the edges of the ribbon. This year for some reason at least twice when a little girl has tried on a headband (or a mother has tried on on them) they have made the most hobbible face and said they were "scratchy" so of course "no sale", which I don't blame them for. When I checked the headband after they left both had a stiff, point that was indeed scratchy. I sure would not want my child wearing that, even though the mother did not look to see what was "sratchy" they just said ohhh ok and put it back. I pulled them off the display and checked the others. There were a few others like that were pretty boarder line. Now why this year they were different from the past I have no clue, but maybe I held the lighter to close to the ribbon or something. I always check the ribbon once I seal it and they all seemed fine right after I sealed them. I'm trying the woodburner for sure though. I love making the headbands.
Diane
How do you finish off your HBs? I posted a tutorial on how I finish mine, and there are no raw ends anywhere -- http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/instr...n-contest.html

I use a woodburner to cut and seal in one step. I just started using that and it's the greatest thing ever. SO quick. I personally don't like using a candle, because you can get black soot marks on the ribbon pretty easily if you get it too close or the flame flickers unexpectedly.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:24

This is the first time I have had this problem and I was really embarrassed the first time it happened and I was not only embarrassed but HORRIFIED when it happened a second time. Maybe I changed the way I was sealing it on those few somehow and didn't even realize it.

Diane
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg