Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-28-2009, 10:39

Default appliqued onesies

Alrighty, I already know how to make the apliqued onesies...but I want to go through the steps to make sure what I am doing will be off good quality and will hold up when washed.
- I find fabric I want and a onesie and I wash it before I start
- I find a picture and cut out around it and use it as a pattern
- I transfer it to a piece of fabric and cut it out
-I take the fabric image I just cut out and I iron it to heat n bond
- I cut out the image from the heat n bond and I iron it on to the onesie
- I use fray check around the edges of the fabric, so it doesnt fray.

This is how I will be making them for my christmas show, I made some before and I hand stitched around the outside of the fabric to ensure that it stayed on the onesie. My question is, Is fray check enough to put around the edges of the fabric??? My sewing maching gets screwed up and messes up all of the time, so Im really scared to go around it with the sewing machine...but Im not going to have time to HAND stitch 43 onesies in 3 weeks Will my onesies fall apart???
Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2009, 12:03

Default Re: appliqued onesies

bump!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18

Hope I am doing this right, I just joined the site and am pretty new to all of this.

I make a ton of appliqued onsies and a couple of things...

If you do use heat and bond and then are going to sew over it, use heat and bond lite.

Second, if you use Batik fabrics, they won't fray, and they are very easy to die cut or cut with a Cricut machine.

I don't use fray check, and I don't prewash my onsies. I use quality onsies from Carters or an online source and the have minimal shrinkage. I don't think the finished product looks as crisp when I prewash first. Since I make a bunch for my daughter out of the same products I know that they hold up. I don't use fray check because I cover most of my seams with either a satin stitch, a buttonhole stitch, zig-zag or intentionally leave it raw edge. Also, if you have problems with your machine with zig/zag or satin stich, make sure your tension is right, you have cleaned your machine recently, have a new needle and you might want to consider a stabelizer.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29

All good tips. Heat and Bond lite is a must. The regular will gum up the needle and you will have a big mess.
I always use a stabilizer, makes a much nicer applique.
I think the onsies made by Carter are to thin. I order all mine online from RustyBumper. They are the best quality and they have about every color you could want.
Applique is one of my most favorite things to do. I love using my embroidery machine to do applique too. I probably have a couple hundred machine applique designs.
This Christmas jumper I did for my granddaughter is all applique, done by hand.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:45

Wow, JennCA, the jumper is beautiful.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:48

Thanks Courtney...I think I would almost rather do applique than anything.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:53

I agree with heat bond lite, I've made that mistake! IMO I think it looks much better stitched around, If I was buying, I wouldn't want it if it wasn't stitched b/c I would be afraid it would not hold up. Good Luck!

www.jkgdover.etsy.com
Old 10-29-2009, 01:27

Jenn - That jumper is so cute! Your granddaughter is one lucky girl.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:17

It's a bit unfortunate tho because my daughter LOVES clothes.
This little girl has so many clothes most are only worn once or twice.
Things I make her usually get given away while they are still brand new.
There just aren't enough days in the week for her to wear everything she has. LOL

Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies