Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-26-2009, 12:38

Default Need help with Envirotex Lite

I can't seem to get the hang of it. This is what I do, please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

I mix two capfuls of each substance in a mixing cup for one minute. I then transfer it to another mixing cup and mix for an additional minute. I then pour a small amount on my scrabble tile and smooth it out to the edges with a popsicle stick. I wait about five minutes and blow on the bubbles with a straw. Now with this method, sometimes my tiles come out perfect, sometimes they come out looking cloudy, sometimes the come out with teeny tiny air bubbles and sometimes the come out looking like I poured vegetable oil on the edges. What the heck am I doing wrong? I love the way they look when they come out perfect, but I need them to come out perfect every single time, not just half the time. Does anyone have any tips?
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/flatbackbuttons-300.jpg
Old 10-26-2009, 12:44

Default Re: Need help with Envirotex Lite

I have been having the same problem lately too. When I first started using it, it was all wine and roses! LOL. And now, I never know what I'm going to get. I've started printing multiples of my designs in case I have to redo them. I only mix 1 cap of each at a time. I can't work fast enough and it starts to go bad on me if I mix more. I think I am going to get some of the medicine cups with the lines, to really make sure that I am mixing exact equal amounts. I wish there were a more reliable product out there.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:46

first the oily look on the edges is because you need to seal the edged of your images after you glue them to your scrabble tile. i use modge podge,

and to get the bubbles out i light a lighter above the images it pops the bubbles and is the most fun to do lol and you don't get light headed trying to blow out all of the bubbles lol.

the cloudyness i'm not sure???
Old 10-26-2009, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyt19784 View Post
first the oily look on the edges is because you need to seal the edged of your images after you glue them to your scrabble tile. i use modge podge,

and to get the bubbles out i light a lighter above the images it pops the bubbles and is the most fun to do lol and you don't get light headed trying to blow out all of the bubbles lol.

the cloudyness i'm not sure???
I do use modge podge to seal my image, maybe I'm not using enough?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:54

Oh wow now I'm nervous...I am about to start doing bottlecaps in the next week or so. I need to buy the stuff for it, pls let me know if I am missing something (i already have the caps and images):

-mod podge
-envirotex lite ---how much does this cost? I went to Michaels and saw a big box of it for $29.99..is that right???
-disposable cups
-lighter or straw for bubbles

Any other tips will be appreciated!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:58

The big box is $29.99, but they also have a smaller box for $19.99 and a little goes a long way! I used the 40% off coupon making it around $12. You'll also need popsicle sticks to mix it with and to spread it to the edges of the caps.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05

the cloudiness could be being caused by your modpoge... anything damp under the the ET will film up like this... allow to dry longer or put in front of a heater

I dont use it(MP) I use a spray sealer in clear glossy.

I also use a blow torch... it gets ALL the bubbles out.. just be careful you dont set your dining room table on fire LOL
Old 10-26-2009, 01:07

Sometimes, I still get little bubbles that never come to the surface even with a lighter. I don't know how to force them to the top. I've tried stirring the resin on my tile with a toothpick and no luck. And I have had the same cloudy issue. I thought maybe it was from too much modge podge. It is definitely not a forgiving product.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohegirl View Post
the cloudiness could be being caused by your modpoge... anything damp under the the ET will film up like this... allow to dry longer or put in front of a heater

I dont use it(MP) I use a spray sealer in clear glossy.

I also use a blow torch... it gets ALL the bubbles out.. just be careful you dont set your dining room table on fire LOL
A blow torch?!? Hubby will probably grab the baby and run out of the house if he ever sees me with a blow torch in hand!!! HA HA..def not a good idea..for me anyways!

OK so no mod podge, instead get spray sealer in clear glossy. thank you!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:07

LOL

I use it(blow torch) on low ... when I have tried to use a lighter, the lighter gets too hot.

I also do 2 passes one pass shortly after I have applied the ET and again about 30-60 min after the second pass clears up the late developing bubbles
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/deescraftsupplies-300.png