ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-25-2009, 02:57

Default What are the rules for images on bottlecaps?

I've started to make some bottlecap images, but I was wondering what the copyright rules are for them. I see lots of different things with Disney Princess and such, but how do I know which ones I can use and which I can't? TIA!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 10-25-2009, 03:37

Default Re: What are the rules for images on bottlecaps?

Anything licenced/copyrighted, you can't use and resell. If you purchase images, etc...they are for your own personal use.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie262 View Post
Anything licenced/copyrighted, you can't use and resell. If you purchase images, etc...they are for your own personal use.

so you cant put them on bows and sell them? even if you purchased the images?

I purchased some a while ago, not that I have tried to make any yet...LOL... and I told her I was going to use them on the hair bows I sell and she didnt say anything to the affect of I cant use them for that.

Krista
Old 10-25-2009, 06:57

you purchased the images from ppl that shouldnt even be selling them in the first place! LOL

the ONLY ppl that can sell for example disney characters is DISNEY... NO one else unless they are paying licensing fees to DISNEY ... same goes for all them college teams, NFL, baseball leagues, Nickolodeon, ect...

you bought princess ribbon from walmart? yea personal use only you cant make something out of it then sell it ... cause you are not paying royalty/licensing fees to disney
Old 10-25-2009, 07:09

If you want to use any of the images you would have to licence it directly from Disney or whichever company holds the rights to the images you want to use.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohegirl View Post
you bought princess ribbon from walmart? yea personal use only you cant make something out of it then sell it ... cause you are not paying royalty/licensing fees to disney
I would think the "right of first sale" would come into play here. Of course this has been frequently debated; however, there is a website devoted to situations like this, where the owner was sued by big corporations (including Disney) and won. Right of first sale would dictate that once you purchased a licensed material, you could incorporate said material into a bigger project and legally sell it, as long as you state that the item is your *own* creation using licensed fabric/ribbon/etc/.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:41

Thank you very much. That's what I assumed, but I know that so many people are selling bottlecap images with licensed product, so I wasn't sure
Old 10-25-2009, 07:45

The first sale doctrine originally applied to digital media, and I'm pretty sure it has wording in there to the effect of 'unaltered'. So, once you cut up the liscensed fabric the first whatever no longer applies.

But this continues to be argued. So, what do I know.

I would like to see this site that is devoted to these situations. I've *heard* mentions of this site, but never actually seen a link.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
I would think the "right of first sale" would come into play here. Of course this has been frequently debated; however, there is a website devoted to situations like this, where the owner was sued by big corporations (including Disney) and won. Right of first sale would dictate that once you purchased a licensed material, you could incorporate said material into a bigger project and legally sell it, as long as you state that the item is your *own* creation using licensed fabric/ribbon/etc/.
yep I know but I have seen for example disney fabric and on the shelvage edge there is a note of for personal use only not for resale...

I think they are a bit bogus on these things but yea...
Old 10-25-2009, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermayi View Post
I would like to see this site that is devoted to these situations. I've *heard* mentions of this site, but never actually seen a link.
Here's the site:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...irstSale.shtml
Sponsored Links