http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-28-2009, 10:06

Default Re: Curly Ostrich

I buy all of mine by the boa (on the rope). I cut a piece off about 5 inches long and then turn that into a snail shape. Then I hot glue the two pieces.
I then hand curl the strands that are not curly so the puff really does look rounder and fuller. I love Curly Ostrich, but I will tell you once you use it you will have feathers all over your house.

Here are a few pictures.

Puff, hand curled and attached to a zebra hat.

This one was not hand curled.

sample as puffs on hair clips
my dd modeling.

Last edited by creativekiddos; 10-28-2009 at 10:15.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 10-28-2009, 10:10

Thanks for the pics!! How would I hand curl? Just wrap the longer strands around my finger?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia44 View Post
scissors or curling iron
Would the curling iron not burn the feathers? Scissors like I would ribbon that you use for wrapping gifts? I have no idea where mine came from... I bought it from a HG friend (who I haven't ever met in person).. She's my friends, friend really. She does bows in TX and she was placing an order I ordered 3 different colors from her. I'll find out the company for you though. They are pretty expensive ($15 something a rope). She's a HG member but I don't think she's been here much bc she's getting ready for some huge show she's doing in Nov in TX.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
Thanks for the pics!! How would I hand curl? Just wrap the longer strands around my finger?
I only use my scissors just like when you curl curling ribbon, but don't pull to hard or the feather will come off. Dream Angels sells some nice boas.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:31

I bought some from HL too... The ostrich I have is much thicker then those. I'm excited to work with it, thankfully my DH works tonight so I can do my bows without his crappy comments about doing crafts and not playing with my kids...

Quote:
I know they are expensive I've been researching it for awhile now so I just thought I would ask. I bought some of those premade ones from HL but I'd really just prefer to make them.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:40

I hate cleaning and I hate uninvited guest!! I hate cleaning the kitchen!! Wish I could hire someone to just come in and clean my kitchen every few days and I could handle the rest!

Quote:
I have to get my allergy shot in a couple hours then I get to clean We got a lovely surprise yesterday. My MIL, her boyfriend, and his son might be staying with us this weekend...excuse me?! Our house is a mess! I've been doing shows since Sept 27th and just finally took a break...to rest.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:12
ahaygood

I missyou all!~
JOB has been crazy on top of a baby who is still sick she just cant kick this. New round of antibiotics.
I buy it on a rope! noI dont sew the ends. just glue em together. I put so much stuff on it.. it always stays fine has never fallen apart
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
Thanks ahaygood! Do you buy it on a rope and sew the ends? I haven't had time to play with mine yet, but I have a date with it tonight as I have to get a poof thing done for someone by Friday!

How your new job? I noticed you haven't been around much.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:54

So... I made a poof last night with my curly ostrich and it looks like well crap for lack of a better word. What is wrong? I didn't cury the ends but they are already curly. I cut it at about 5" sewed the ends toghether and hot glued a clip. I don't even know what I could do different. It's flat and smashy looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0297.jpg (110.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0299.jpg (74.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 10-29-2009, 01:57

I totally love this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn* View Post
I've never seen ccurly ostrich feather on a rope, so I a not sure if this is useful to you, but you may be you can use the idea. I curl the ostrich feather with the back of my scissors or sometimes with my hyair styler.

~Joni~
F - Our Little Secret 509

Old 10-29-2009, 02:41

I guess I feel werid trying to sell something that looks all crazy. My dd loved it. She tired taking it.. but I already had a cute halloween bow in her hair, plus this one is suppose to be for someone.
I took it to the lady (she sits down the hall from me here at work) and she loved it and thought it was perfect. I asked her if she thought it needed to be bigger but she said NO. She's a photographer on the side so I'll have some good pics of it in the near future... I think she's doing pics of someone with it on Saturday.
Sponsored Links