150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-22-2009, 11:28

Default Help with Marabou

I've seen some cute bows or flowers that have Marabou very slightly sticking out in the back. I have tried to cut the marabou and everytime I do it cuts the feathers and looks choppy and I have feathers flying everywhere! And the "rope" it is attached to is so thick...how do you get rid of that?? Any help with this would be wonderful!! TIA
Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2009, 11:48

Default Re: Help with Marabou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Girls~Christina View Post
I've seen some cute bows or flowers that have Marabou very slightly sticking out in the back. I have tried to cut the marabou and everytime I do it cuts the feathers and looks choppy and I have feathers flying everywhere! And the "rope" it is attached to is so thick...how do you get rid of that?? Any help with this would be wonderful!! TIA

Ok the feathers flying... i use maribou alll the time when!!!! when i cut i have had the same problem soooooo now.... i leave the vacuum on while i do it (i usually cut all pieces to desired length at one time)... i get the hose part (where you use attachments) of the vacuum and set it on my work desk Then i cut right next to it (while its turned on)....all the flying feathers immediately get sucked up by the vaccume... no mess!!

Feathers looking choppy.... before you cut seperate the feathers all the way down to the rope as colse as you can get and then cut... that way you avoid as many feathers as possible to avoid that choppy look.......

Rope.... i sew my ends.... this will help from the maribou comming undone from the rope and allow you to cut as close to the feathers as possible so the rope cannot be seen

I hope this helps.... and i hope that you can understand my explanations lol!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:55

Rope.... i sew my ends.... this will help from the maribou comming undone from the rope and allow you to cut as close to the feathers as possible so the rope cannot be seen

I hope this helps.... and i hope that you can understand my explanations lol!!! [/QUOTE]

WOW - Great Information!! THank you so much!! Love the vacuum idea

when you say you sew your ends...do you mean to the bow itself or just of the marabou??

Thanks again!!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:01

I pull the feathers apart and stick a piece of tape around the marabou, then cut in the middle of the tape, no mess cause you never cut a feather, and the ends stay together without having to get the needle and thread out!

I know what you are saying about the feathers sticking out further than you want and trimming them makes them choppy I have no solution for that, I just let mine hang out further!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroberts324 View Post
I pull the feathers apart and stick a piece of tape around the marabou, then cut in the middle of the tape, no mess cause you never cut a feather, and the ends stay together without having to get the needle and thread out!

I know what you are saying about the feathers sticking out further than you want and trimming them makes them choppy I have no solution for that, I just let mine hang out further!

Ahhhh wonderful advice....I will try that....thank you!! So then you just hotglue the middle of the marabou to the back of the flower or bow right??
Old 10-22-2009, 12:09

Thanks.... I sew each of the ends so it doesnt start to come apart.... and then if im making a "puff" i sew both ends to eachother making a circle "O", or a ball... depending on the size of maribou cut!

if i am attaching it to a bow.... i usually sew it on because for me... its hard to get it on securely if i glue ... i feel like only the feathers are stuck to the glue not the rope.... HTH
Old 10-22-2009, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hair_bling_boutique View Post
if i am attaching it to a bow.... i usually sew it on because for me... its hard to get it on securely if i glue ... i feel like only the feathers are stuck to the glue not the rope.... HTH
Thanks!! That is a great point, it must be very secure that way too...I will try it!!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:29

The feathers will fly everywhere when you cut it, there is no way to avod it, that's the pain working with marabou string. But you can try to reveal the string as much as you can and just cut the string trying not to touch the feathers.

YOu can attach a piece of marabou string to the stacked bow by tying it to the spike layer. Either do a figure 8 so the two ends of the marabou will hide in the middle or simply cut it the same length or a bit shorter than the spikes and carefully add a tiny drop of hot glue to the string ends to seal them. If you do it carefully enough, the glue and the string ends won't be seen as the lmarabou feathers will surround them and cover them
I prefer the two loops 8 figure as two parts will look mostly the same. If you just you a short piece of marabou you won't get the symmetrical look as the feathers lean to one side IYKWIM

HTH
Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Girls~Christina View Post
Old 10-22-2009, 12:39

I cut all my marabou outside on the porch I'll take it all outside and do it all at once then keep it in a plastic tote with a lid.

I like the figure 8 for larger bows, but for smaller bows and "puffs" I do the circle end to end and hot glue the ends together.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:40

Do you use the same methods for the curly ostrich? I have some coming today (that stuff it expensive!!)... I've never worked with it before but wanted to try it out.
Sponsored Links