New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-18-2009, 11:55

Default New to TuTu's - Please help

Okay, girls I just made my 1st tutu, for a customer for her daughters 1st Birthday. I think it is pretty cute, but I used 3 layers of tulle for each knot. Now, I am wondering when the little girl puts it on, is the elastic going to stretch out so much that the tulle is going to separate and you will be able to see the elastic and gaps in the tulle? When the elastic is not stretched, you cannot put anymore knots on the elastic, in other words, it is full. Does that make sense? Help please, has anyone had this happen? If so, what do I do to fix it? TIA
Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2009, 12:00

Default Re: New to TuTu's - Please help

Some people wrap with double-faced satin ribbon to prevent the elastic from showing. The one's I've made for dds, I just got my knots as close as possible and didn't have a problem with elastic showing. I made sure to take off 3 inches from their waist measurement to account for stretching as well. Curious to see what others say, sorry I wasn't more help!

<>< Christy
my shop
Old 10-19-2009, 12:04

I did wrap it with satin ribbon as well, but that is mainly covering the knots...maybe I did it wrong. The knots are close enough that I couldn't get the ribbon in between without stretching the elastic, KWIM? Thanks for your response! Glad to know it is not an issue for you. One more thing, I did allow for stretching when cutting my elastic to size...thanks to all the wonderful post on here
Old 10-19-2009, 12:05

Could you try stretching the tutu around something with the same measurements as the little girl? like a mannequin, a chair back, book, etc. just to test whether the elastic will show? if it doesn't stretch when you put it around something with the same measurements then you'll know it will look right when she is wearing it....if that makes sense.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyeliza View Post
Could you try stretching the tutu around something with the same measurements as the little girl? like a mannequin, a chair back, book, etc. just to test whether the elastic will show? if it doesn't stretch when you put it around something with the same measurements then you'll know it will look right when she is wearing it....if that makes sense.
I don't have a mannequin to try, the reason I am so worried is when I put my hands on the inside and stretch it, you can see the elastic. BUT, I can't put anymore tulle on without stretching out the elastic.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:19

It depends on how much you took off for stretching. I only take off .5 inch to 1 inch and I don't have that problem of the elastic showing. HTH!

Oh, and I always stretch it just a tad....like adding one extra bundle when I filled all the space on the elastic to account for this.

Last edited by GingerandHoney; 10-19-2009 at 12:23.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:28

I cut my elastic to 15.5 inches, it has already stretched out to a little over 17 inches, and the little girl is like 19 inches around. Do ya'll think I need to stretch the elastic out more and put on more tulle? I was allowing like 1.5 - 2 inches of stretch so that it would stay on. Does that make sense?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:32

I would. I only allow a little for stretch and I've never gotten a complaint. My tutus are my best sellers.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerandHoney View Post
I would. I only allow a little for stretch and I've never gotten a complaint. My tutus are my best sellers.
Thanks so much! I will unwrap the ribbon and add some. I will post a pic when I am done, maybe you can tell me if I need to change something! Thanks again!
Sponsored Links