New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-12-2009, 01:34

Default Cheer Bow Assistance Please!

I'd like to try making cheer bows and am wondering what is the best way to cut the sequin fabric and adhere it to the grosgrain. Or is it adhered? I dont' even know. Does the sequin fabric need to be stiffened at all? Do you use special scissors to cut it. Do you need to use fray check to keep it from fraying?

I know I have a lot of questions, but don't know where else to turn for answers.

Also if you know of good suppliers for the sequin fabric/ribbon I'd greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks a bunch,
Andrea
Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2009, 02:12

Default Re: Cheer Bow Assistance Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat elephant View Post
I'd like to try making cheer bows and am wondering what is the best way to cut the sequin fabric and adhere it to the grosgrain. Or is it adhered? I dont' even know. Does the sequin fabric need to be stiffened at all? Do you use special scissors to cut it. Do you need to use fray check to keep it from fraying?

I know I have a lot of questions, but don't know where else to turn for answers.

Also if you know of good suppliers for the sequin fabric/ribbon I'd greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks a bunch,
Andrea
I have sequin fabric sitting in my laundry room calling my name. I'm too chicken to get it out and try!!! I even have the 2.25" grosgrain to make the cheer bows... I need to just do it this weekend...

I guess you use heat'n'bond lite to fuse it to ribbon,then trim??? I've heard that it does not fray once fused. Careful, though. Don't press the sequins directly with the iron. Put something in between the iron and the sequins. they'll melt!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:39

I haven't tried yet either but I'm going to soon! But I have seen that people fuse 1st (I think) then cut the fabric with a rotary cutter. There should be quite a bit of results with search if you want to try that too.

www.sassyfrog.etsy.com
Old 10-12-2009, 09:49

I tried it a while back and mine turned out like poo! LOL

I don't think I did it right. Mine frayed when I cut it w/o fusing it. When I did try to fuse it (this is where I think I went wrong) and then cut it the sequin fabric was so stiff it looked weird. I haven't tried it again but I have promised my niece a cheer bow for spirit day at her school. I HAVE to figure it out! I think I will try again....getting tips from the search results and any you ladies might want to toss at me....HINT HINT!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:41

Adhere the fabric to the heat and bond FIRST then cut it 1/8 inch smaller than the ribbon you are adhering it too, since you adhered FIRST to the fabric, it shouldnt fray

Use a VERY SHARP rotary cutter
Old 10-12-2009, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowbrite View Post
When I did try to fuse it (this is where I think I went wrong) and then cut it the sequin fabric was so stiff it looked weird.
Did you use Heat and Bond LITE?? if you use one that is too heavy then it will be too hard. But they are a bit on the hard side anyway
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09

Can you buy heat and bond at Walmart? We have 0 fabric stores here. But there is a michaels 30 minutes away but I don't think they sell that kind of stuff.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookshomemadegoods View Post
Can you buy heat and bond at Walmart? We have 0 fabric stores here. But there is a michaels 30 minutes away but I don't think they sell that kind of stuff.
Wal-Mart has it.
And I've been thinking about copying you on the typing with a baby on your lap- It is such a rare luxury to type with 2 hands and noone else trying to hit keys!!

www.sassyfrog.etsy.com
Old 10-12-2009, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlessingsBowtique View Post
Did you use Heat and Bond LITE?? if you use one that is too heavy then it will be too hard. But they are a bit on the hard side anyway
I think I used something different. But if I wanted to do a bow (just say 1.5 ribbon) with a strip of the sequin fabric like laying on top (not stacked) I would fuse the sequin fabric on a 7/8 ribbon and then hold the 1.5 and the 7/8 ribbons together while folding? Or would I fuse the sequin fabric strip straight onto the 1.5 ribbon? Are you confused yet?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:12

I made cheer bows for my girls team last year. This is what I did. I laid out the heat and bond, laid my pcs of ribbon on with just enough room to get scissors between each pc and ironed. I then took that "sheet" and ironed it to the sequin fabric. I had 3 different colors and did that with each. It was STIFF. I learned a little trick though when folding it. I used a hair dryer just enough to make it soft to fold the crease.