http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/disney-minnie-mickey-mouse-ribbon-52yd-store.jpg zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/20pc-1.5in-petal-flower-clips-cm.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3-8-frog-grosgrain-ribbon.jpg cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
HipGirl 12pc Grosgrain Ribbon Wrapped 1/2" Headbands + Matching Large Hair Bow Alligator Clips. Interchangable Assorted Fashion Accessory for Girl Women Teen Kid Toddler Children Adult

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-12-2009, 01:38

Default Re: Cheer Bow Assistance Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrascmom View Post
I made cheer bows for my girls team last year. This is what I did. I laid out the heat and bond, laid my pcs of ribbon on with just enough room to get scissors between each pc and ironed. I then took that "sheet" and ironed it to the sequin fabric. I had 3 different colors and did that with each. It was STIFF. I learned a little trick though when folding it. I used a hair dryer just enough to make it soft to fold the crease.

That is an awesome tip! Thanks for sharing!

**Sorry, to hijack this thread!**
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 10-12-2009, 02:22

I make sequin bows all the time. I buy my heat n bond lite at our local Wal Mart. I always use a plain sheet of copy paper over the material when I iron it so I don't melt the sqeuins. I then measure the size of ribbon I'm using and cut the material to match and it fits perfect. I don't ever have any problem with it fraying. Peal off the backing and iron it onto the ribbon. If you use the no sew heat n bond it will be so stiff that you wont be able to crease your ribbon at all.

HTH
Ash
Old 10-12-2009, 06:47

I have used the Heat Bond and the Fabri-Tac for my cheer bows. Although I have never used sequin material as I am too chicken to work with it.

What I do is mark where my creases are going to be and then lay out (iron) the HB or spread a small amount of FT all along the ribbon making sure I leave a little space where the creases are going to be. This helps keep the ribbon soft where the creases are so it is easier on you when you are making your bows.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowbrite View Post
I think I used something different. But if I wanted to do a bow (just say 1.5 ribbon) with a strip of the sequin fabric like laying on top (not stacked) I would fuse the sequin fabric on a 7/8 ribbon and then hold the 1.5 and the 7/8 ribbons together while folding? Or would I fuse the sequin fabric strip straight onto the 1.5 ribbon? Are you confused yet?
You can fuse the 7/8 to the top of the 1/5
Old 10-12-2009, 09:55

Quote:
I made cheer bows for my girls team last year. This is what I did. I laid out the heat and bond, laid my pcs of ribbon on with just enough room to get scissors between each pc and ironed. I then took that "sheet" and ironed it to the sequin fabric. I had 3 different colors and did that with each. It was STIFF. I learned a little trick though when folding it. I used a hair dryer just enough to make it soft to fold the crease.
soooooooo you gals are peeling one of the papers off, laying one of the layers (either sequins OR ribbon) on top where you peeled the layer off, then iron? So from bottom to top, you have your ironing board, paper backing, heat n' bond lite, ribbon, and an iron on top of that? The paper will still peel off of the very bottom just fine when cool? After the first iron,flip it over and add the other layer to fuse to and iron a second time?

Also wanted to pass along a supplier I found.... Marsgaga on Ebay. The sequins are a bit bigger and closer spaced than the traditional sequined fabric, but I like it. Looks more like a polka dot as opposed to a swiss dot.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
soooooooo you gals are peeling one of the papers off, laying one of the layers (either sequins OR ribbon) on top where you peeled the layer off, then iron? So from bottom to top, you have your ironing board, paper backing, heat n' bond lite, ribbon, and an iron on top of that? The paper will still peel off of the very bottom just fine when cool? After the first iron,flip it over and add the other layer to fuse to and iron a second time?

Also wanted to pass along a supplier I found.... Marsgaga on Ebay. The sequins are a bit bigger and closer spaced than the traditional sequined fabric, but I like it. Looks more like a polka dot as opposed to a swiss dot.
I'm not sure that my heat and bond had two papers, but that is pretty much what I do. I fuse the ribbon to the heat and bond peel off the paper and then lay it heat and bond to the fabric and iron over the ribbon. That way I don't have to worry about the sequins coming off on the iron. But they will still come off if you hold the iron over one spot too long. That was the easiest way for me to do it. I had 45 cheer bows to make and that worked perfect.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12

Quote:
I'm not sure that my heat and bond had two papers, but that is pretty much what I do. I fuse the ribbon to the heat and bond peel off the paper and then lay it heat and bond to the fabric and iron over the ribbon. That way I don't have to worry about the sequins coming off on the iron. But they will still come off if you hold the iron over one spot too long. That was the easiest way for me to do it. I had 45 cheer bows to make and that worked perfect.
thanks so much!!! I may actually get up the nerve to make some sequined bows...

Old 10-12-2009, 11:59

1) I measure what I need for the bow, so if I am using x amount of length and 1.5" width, I measure it out at about 1 and 3/4 inch heat and bond.....I then peel one side of the heat and bond and iron that on the back of the SHINY material so it is ironing board, shinny, heat and bond....

2) THEN cut the shiny fabric to 1/8 of an inch shorter than my base ribbon........I DO NOT CUT THE SHINY FABRIC FIRST b.c it tends to FRAY, so then I cut the shiny fabric

3) peel the other side of the backing and position it on the ribbon, then it is ironing board, ribbon, shiny material that has the heat and bond on the back

NOW........to do that, I iron a small portion at a time so that I can position it in the middle of the base ribbon and it wont sleep as I go........again, this is how I HANDLE it, others might do it differently, I am actually working on a tutorial, so look for it to come in a couple of weeks
Old 10-13-2009, 07:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlessingsBowtique View Post
1) I measure what I need for the bow, so if I am using x amount of length and 1.5" width, I measure it out at about 1 and 3/4 inch heat and bond.....I then peel one side of the heat and bond and iron that on the back of the SHINY material so it is ironing board, shinny, heat and bond....

2) THEN cut the shiny fabric to 1/8 of an inch shorter than my base ribbon........I DO NOT CUT THE SHINY FABRIC FIRST b.c it tends to FRAY, so then I cut the shiny fabric

3) peel the other side of the backing and position it on the ribbon, then it is ironing board, ribbon, shiny material that has the heat and bond on the back

NOW........to do that, I iron a small portion at a time so that I can position it in the middle of the base ribbon and it wont sleep as I go........again, this is how I HANDLE it, others might do it differently, I am actually working on a tutorial, so look for it to come in a couple of weeks

Yay for tutorials!! I'm gonna give it a try maybe this weekend with all these wonderful tips.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:52

Quote:

I use a similar tech but I measure the strips of sequin fabric first and iron them,cut, then iron onto my ribbon. Someone above said to make the fabric a tad shorter in width and she is correct it helps. It takes some practice you may want to buy some and make a few before you start on your good stuff.

If the folding is not going well the hairdryer will help or use a mini craft iron (they are low temp).

If you need further help you can always send me a pm.

Lu
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif