new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-06-2009, 12:33

Default Best adhesive for bottle caps?

I have been using my Xyron permanent adhesive sticker maker to run my bottle cap images through and have never had any problem with my images coming undone.

A lady came into the boutique and bought one of my bows. In fact she bought a bunch of bows. Well she handed this particular bow to her little girl to play with so she should stay still. You could tell this mom had her hands full.

She comes back a few days later and says the bottle cap was defective. Well it wasn't defective. Her dd decided to play with it and pick on the picture until it ripped/cracked on one end. It is very obvious what had happened. I said I would replace it since this was the first time this has happened but I did make it a point that these bows are not toys and doing so will result in damage to the bow.

So now...I am wanting something stronger to hold down the image to the bottlecap. I want that damn thing to be so stuck on there that you would need a knife to pry it off. Anny suggestions? TIA

Here is a pic of the damage:

Here is what it is suppose to look like:

Last edited by ronnie; 08-12-2011 at 02:57.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 10-06-2009, 01:00

Default Re: Best adhesive for bottle caps?

First I have to say DANG CUTE BOW!!! I better not let my hubby see that, he'll want me to try making one for my dd. (My husband is a BIG TIME hunter!!!). I would HIGHLY suggest finishing your bottlecaps with ET lite. (envirotex lite). You can get it at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. It's a resin epoxy (in case you aren't sure what it is). It puts like a thick thick thick coating over the top of it and I'd like to see that little girl pry THAT one up!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:16

I use the sticker maker and it's the best thing I've found so far. I glaze with ET Lite. Make sure you go over the entire edge of the image (not just the top of the image).

But yes, I would say the little girl was too rough with that cap
Old 10-06-2009, 01:16

Is it easy to work with? I have trouble using the ones out of a jar. I prefer using a squeeze bottle with an applicator.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomommyof4 View Post
First I have to say DANG CUTE BOW!!! I better not let my hubby see that, he'll want me to try making one for my dd. (My husband is a BIG TIME hunter!!!). I would HIGHLY suggest finishing your bottlecaps with ET lite. (envirotex lite). You can get it at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. It's a resin epoxy (in case you aren't sure what it is). It puts like a thick thick thick coating over the top of it and I'd like to see that little girl pry THAT one up!!!

Being from south Texas and owning our own deer breeding facility these happen to be my biggest sellers in the deer breeding community and small hunting towns.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:30

I use a disposable paintbrush to apply mine.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:13

I put that mod podge on my caps before/after i put the images on. I dont use the sticker maker because i would do like 100 caps at a time and needed a faster way.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:38

I use a Xyron too most of the time. But it looks like you don't put the resin over the edge of the image. If you do that, they won't be able to pick them off. It seals it in.
But, yes, it definitely looks like she picked it off!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:16

Hey Ronnie - yes - a little picking will do that! I use ET as well - but I do not go over the edges. I don't know how you keep it from running all down the sides of the cap! So if someone wanted to really pick at mine - I guess they could do so as well!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sla762 View Post
Hey Ronnie - yes - a little picking will do that! I use ET as well - but I do not go over the edges. I don't know how you keep it from running all down the sides of the cap! So if someone wanted to really pick at mine - I guess they could do so as well!
It was so frustrating for me. I have been doing this for about 2 yrs now and I have never had anyone complain about my bows. I take it very seriously because I make sure that everything I make is secured and going to stay. That is why it takes me so long to make bows.

I guess you learn new things as you go. I think I will be adding some info on the back of my bow cards saying that this product is not a toy and can be damaged easily if not properly cared for.

My bf 4 yr old dd is my tester. I make bows and all kinds of stuff and we will let her play with them to see if she can damage them. I learned I had to tighten my korkers because of her. Now they cannot be ripped apart unless an adult does it. She has pulled on the bottle caps to see if they will pop off and to no avail. Even her mom has trouble doing it.

Leave it to one kid to scrape her nail underneath the image and peal it off. That flap of the rip in the posted pic is super duper hard. How in the heck could she have done that without hurting her fingernail?
Sponsored Links