http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-25-2008, 07:25

Default Why are Etsy Hairbows listed so inexpensive?

Not sure where I should be posting this, but I am so bummed that Etsy bows (in general) seem to be priced so low! I am not that ready to sell any bows, but I wish bows went for more on Etsy.. Anyone else notice this? here is one example:

Etsy :: Goofy Hairbow

Etsy :: Ribbon Rose Girls Hair bow

Etsy :: Pink Butterfly Boutique Baby Hair No Slip Clip

Last edited by birmantaz; 01-25-2008 at 07:37. Reason: Added more examples
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:30

Default Re: Why are Etsy Hairbows listed so inexpensive?

I don't have an answer, but did anyone else look at the title of the link and think "goofy hairbow" meant that it was a silly hair bow???? OK, it was probably just me LOL!

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Old 01-25-2008, 08:49

It could be because they are beginers and they not only practice on them but they might enjoy making them for fun..??

If you want customers you first have to advertize:
How better to advertize than to either sell really cheap bows or give them away..I mean who can say no to something free right..Some choose to give out freebies with purchase, others free shipping,and most of them super cheap prices..

Well at least thats what i think!?

If i open a Bow store (wich might take centuries) i might do the same at least until i get customers and better yet until i become a tru pro!

OHh and i forgot..Maybe they want to built feedback!..Good Feedback attracks more buyers..

Hi im Liz or liza

Last edited by imadoll; 01-25-2008 at 09:08.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:57

Personally- I think it's the economy. In my area- people will not buy bows for alot of money. They need that money for gas and food on the table. Hairbows are becoming more of a luxery item. I price a little low- only because if I didn't- I would never sell enough bows to support my bow making habit!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:06

Well- we have talked about this before..in another post. Just making bows really isn't that profitable. A few dollars here and there. I do it because I LOVEEE to make bows. I also LOVE to see little girls squeal when they get their new bows. But I am not in it for the money. More of a hobby. Enough to support buying ribbon and a few little extra things here and there.

I have thought about adding the tutu's and the flip flops. That would make it more of a buisness for me then a hobby. I am not ready yet to take that plunge.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber427 View Post
Well- we have talked about this before..in another post. Just making bows really isn't that profitable. A few dollars here and there. I do it because I LOVEEE to make bows. I also LOVE to see little girls squeal when they get their new bows. But I am not in it for the money. More of a hobby. Enough to support buying ribbon and a few little extra things here and there.

I have thought about adding the tutu's and the flip flops. That would make it more of a buisness for me then a hobby. I am not ready yet to take that plunge.
I made my first real tutu today. Maybe I was superslow b/c it was my first but given the amount of time it took, I'm not so sure it would be all that profitable either. The flipflops, probably yes.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:08

I saw today that Walmart has flip flops for $2.88. As soon as they get some in my daughter's size I am going to make them!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:33

I'm going through this very thing right now. When I started looking for bows to fit in my dd's hair when she was about 9 months old (she was bald until then), they were all like $9 for a no-slip clip. I thought that was nuts to pay that much for something that cost less than .50 to make, so I started making them. Up until this January, I was selling them for $2.00 because like some of you said, it started as a hobby. I've always wanted to offer them a little less because I know I didn't want to pay $9 for a clip. In January, I just raised them to $2.50. I have a HUGE customer base now and I am so busy on top of being a teacher and raising 2 kids that I am heavily thinking about jumping up to $4.00, because now I understand the time involved in making them. That will still price them somewhat lower than what some people sell them for, but also allow me to do some wholesale as I've been asked a few times lately.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:56

The great thing about Etsy is it doesn't matter where you live regionally. I think people should price higher and then everyone can charge that much, that is the advantage of selling online. I am not saying charge ridiculous prices, just a bit more, even $.25 to $.50. I do see the idea of starting lower and building a customer base then raising prices as needed. Anyways, it is a moot point for me, but just interesting. I have a lot more practice to do and gifts to give before i am comfortable selling online. I did do one craft fair, but it was only at my work (so low to no pressure!). I am working on headbands now! Those are fun :-)
Old 01-27-2008, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkynmunky View Post
I don't have an answer, but did anyone else look at the title of the link and think "goofy hairbow" meant that it was a silly hair bow???? OK, it was probably just me LOL!

I didn't look at the site...and that's what I thought at first. From your post here, I'm guessing it is the Disney Goofy? (I could look but I am lazy this morning - it's been another crazy week and I'm conserving my energy for korking today, lol!)

ISO: manners
Sponsored Links