ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-30-2009, 05:14

Default Twisted Boutiques - I'm at your mercy

Hi Ladies - I've made many other bows, but haven't really attempted these....Below are several pics, front and back of each bow (the 1.5 size is only the front from off the template - only 5 pics allowed). I used the wood template from TOTT.

I've noticed that I seem to always have problems with the bottom left loop being long and not a nice twist. I also sew mine.

I would appreciate constructive criticism. I am brave and can take it, I just want to make these correctly.....Any suggestions??? Which is the front and which is the back????

Thank you so much,
Jen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0153.jpg (44.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0155.jpg (44.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0157.jpg (43.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0158.jpg (46.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0159.jpg (37.9 KB, 76 views)
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:19

Default Re: Twisted Boutiques - I'm at your mercy

Hi, you know what? i just ordered the templates as well and for some reason, mine look just like yours. idk why but i cannot get them to look like perfect twisted bows. i sew just like it tells me too and i cant figure it out. Ok this website has the most perfect twisted bows i have ever seen, take a look.Giggle's of Glee Bow~tique
I can't figure out how its done but if you figure it out, please let me know...maybe this person can help us...

They dont look bad though, lets just keep trying, they say "practice makes perfect"
Old 09-30-2009, 05:20

I create mine by hand.
It looks like you have the basic fold, the one loop is not exactly angled correctly.
hmmm...maybe someone else has some suggestions.
I'm not really sure about using to templates for these, as I've never done that. sorry

~Lisa
Old 09-30-2009, 05:24

I use the template to get the basic size of the loops to try to make them all the same size, and then once I pull the bow off, I try to reshape the angles before I use the needle and thread, it seems to take forever. I've practiced these for quite some time and really just decided I would do them, but I have a lady who would like to order one in every color. I won't take that order until I am good enough at these....so I will kept at it. I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:33

Can any one provide some suggestions? Thank you.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39

i have TOTTS the loop you are having prob with is your first loop you make correct and it is forms the tail on the back of the bow, it looks to me like you have it angled to far to the right try to make sure that tail is almost up right when you are sewing it and see if that helps
Old 09-30-2009, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetbowtique View Post
i have TOTTS the loop you are having prob with is your first loop you make correct and it is forms the tail on the back of the bow, it looks to me like you have it angled to far to the right try to make sure that tail is almost up right when you are sewing it and see if that helps
Thank you, I think you are right. I will try that too. I've tried both by template and hand. I just have to keep making one after the other and I think I will get it. Maybe when I do I will repost. THANK YOU LADIES for your help!!!! Much appreciated.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:24

The front side is the 1st pic of the blue. The backside is the 2nd pic.

I have Totts but I no longer use the bowmaker. But, you can still improvise using it... Have you tried this one? http://www.girlythingsbows.com/boutique_bow.html You can use that instruction but instead of folding the initial loops as pictured (Pic 3), set your dowels to the markings, loop all the way around both dowels. Stick the pin in the center marking of the bowmarking (Picture 4). That should give you 4 even loops.

Your angle at the center always will resemble X, before creasing.

All those being said, am assuming you have the Totts wooden bowmaker and not NBNG or LPL etc etc. =)
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32

what I see is that the first one the loop on the bottom is doing that b.c of the placement of the crease, are you sewing or tying? Also, on the others, for that thing size ribbon, your loops are way tooooo long.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlessingsBowtique View Post
what I see is that the first one the loop on the bottom is doing that b.c of the placement of the crease, are you sewing or tying? Also, on the others, for that thing size ribbon, your loops are way tooooo long.
Okay, so the first blue bow was made with 7/8" and is about 3" wide. The zebra is 5/8", also 3" and the 1.5" turquoise is 4". I think the 7/8" is a good 3" width, just need to angle the first loop better. I use the exact instruction from TOTT on pulling the needle through the center, then wrapping and pulling into the creases and tying off. I agree too about the zebra - should be much smaller width. The 1.5" - I just don't know about - doesn't look too great to me, but that is the size I need to work on most for a possible order.

Again,
Thanks.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults