http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-29-2009, 11:25

Default Making bows for black peoople

Okay, I know my subject line is a little like "HUH????" but this is my issue and a warning to those of you who have black customers.

A lot...okay a majority of people with black (african carribean) hair or biracial (anything mixed with black) hair uses oil (or as some people call it grease) in our hair. If you don't know why.....please google it. My issue is that I've had 2 of my black customers come back to me for replacements because their bows/headbands have fallen apart. I suspect it is the oil that they use in their hair. The reason I say this is because I had one lady tell me that she can't make bows for her daughters hair because the oil that she uses in her hair makes her bows fall apart.

I've never had an issue with this with the bows that I make for myself because I rarely use oil in my hair.

Since it is very common with black people, I want to know what could I use instead. Would E6000 work? I hate to put a disclaimer on people who use grease, but I would feel wrong selling it to people who I know might use oil in their hair. What should I say?
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 09-29-2009, 11:29

Default Re: Making bows for black peoople

My step father is black and I have tons of black cousins that always have bows in their hair and wear headbands. I will ask my Aunt if she ever has that problem. If not, I will ask here what headbands that she uses and maybe examine to figure them out.

I know she uses grease in the girls hair too because she gave some to my brother for his hair when my mom didn't know what to get.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:32

Yes E6000 or sometimes i actually sew a lined clip to the bow and sew the center... it is the Oils (almost positive) My children are 1/2 and i myself have experienced this problem before! Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2009, 11:57

I saw you title and was like what!? lol I have sold to twin mixed girls and I dont think they have had any problems with theirs. I hope they havent and she hasent told me .......Would a slip grip in the top of the clip help and create a barrier? or thi may be weird something like scotchguard on the bows?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18

LOL!

The places that is is coming off it where I line the clip....when you wrap the ribbon around the bottom part. Also, on the wrapped headbands....the end pieces....
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22

I saw this title and thought WT?? LOL. I never thought of that! I would think E6000 would work though... Now I'm going to goggle why use grease, but I think it's bc the hair is so dry and it just goes crazy if you don't...
Old 09-29-2009, 12:24

Great Questions! My kids, Grand kids are all mixed, some wear grease some don't, But my Daughter who does, the Clips that I have made for her have fallen apart. I couldn't figure it out though.
I think the e6000 might work, that stuff it like cement.
I am going to make a few and have her test them.
As far as s Disclaimer, I thought of "Great with Grease"
Only the ones who wear Grease will know what that means
Old 09-29-2009, 01:23

I am hispanic and my baby is bi-racial black and hispanic. I don't use grease in her hair just a leave in conditioner , but I have had her clips come apart and I have noticed it happens if her hair is really wet when I put the clips in. I imagine the e6000 should work, that stuff stinks but is amazing.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNice123 View Post
I am hispanic and my baby is bi-racial black and hispanic. I don't use grease in her hair just a leave in conditioner , but I have had her clips come apart and I have noticed it happens if her hair is really wet when I put the clips in. I imagine the e6000 should work, that stuff stinks but is amazing.
Yes, but a lot of leave-ins and detanglers for people with bi-racial hair contain oils ( know because my hair is similar to bi-racial individuals)....I've even saturated them in starch and they don't fall apart...hmmmmmm from the response here, I bet it's the oils
Old 09-29-2009, 01:39

Maybe you can just put a generic warning on the packaging like...
"Hair care products can have an adverse effect on the life of bows and bow hardware."

I mean even hairspray can really make a bow collect dirt and dust.

I dunno...just an idea
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.