New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
New products--hip girl clips
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-17-2009, 03:26
Default tutu halter dress help

I am wanting to make my daughter a tutu halter dress using a wide waffle headband. Only trouble is...she's 3 and I've never seen a waffle headband in person. I don't know how far they stretch to know for sure if it will fit her. She is about 21 inches around measured under her arms and she'll be wearing it over a long sleeve leotard. Also, if they do stretch enough to fit her where is the best place to get a mint colored one? Another question...I've only made her one tutu and it turned out a bit curly and scraggly looking. I'm not sure if I didn't cut it short enough or if I didn't use the right tulle. I bought tulle off the bolt at Hobbly Lobby. I'd like the tutu part of it to stick out. What kind of tulle should I use and how do you cut it to look like a pixie cut tutu? Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Stephanie~Mom to:Jordan-13, Jaysen-6, Sophie-2
~Faith makes things possible, not easy~
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2009, 03:52
Default Re: tutu halter dress help

My son is 3 and (shh... don't tell his dad, lol) I had him try one a tutu dress i was making with a 5" HB. It fit him a little snug.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:01
Default Re: tutu halter dress help

I have a round box that I measured around ~ it was 24" and my 3" waffle headband fit around it. It was snug, though.

I would highly recommend (although this is my personal opinion) getting 6" rolls of tulle to make your tutus. It is just easier than trying to get even strips. You can get them at Michaels or online LOTS of places ( has quite a few colors).

Here are some instructions on the pixie tutu (the post is about 1/2 way down the page):

I have a 3" mint headband if you'd like it, but I'm thinking you might want wider. Polkadot Wholesale (who is a member here) has them in 5.5" in mint:

Hope that helps some!
Sponsored Links

crochet headband, tutu, tutu halter dress, tutus, waffle headband