Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-16-2009, 02:16

Default Will metallic ribbon kork?

I have a request for some Korkers in black and gold for school colors. I think they are wanting the shiny metallic ribbon, like UB sells. Will this stuff kork? I've never used it before. I thought only 100% polyester ribbon would kork. I have no idea what this stuff is made out of, but I doubt it is 100% polyester. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Sponsored Links
http://hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/Ad for Hipgirls RevA.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:20

Default Re: Will metallic ribbon kork?

Yes maam it sure does! I just got finished with a bunch of korkers with the black & gold for a local school and last night finished a pony set for another school in maroon, black & silver. I had to starch the metallic quite a bit more of course but it korked, didn't burn and has held shape...I was so afaid that it would melt in the oven and gave it a test run and it came out great....HTH
Old 09-16-2009, 02:34

Ooh, do you have pictures of the black and gold? I'd love to see them. I'm still waiting to hear back if it is metalllic gold or a yellow gold that they are wanting.

I was afraid that the metallic might kork initially, but then come undone. Did you starch before you baked? I normally don't starch my korkers until they are actually put together, but I think with this metallic it would have to be starched while still on the dowel rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglee View Post
Yes maam it sure does! I just got finished with a bunch of korkers with the black & gold for a local school and last night finished a pony set for another school in maroon, black & silver. I had to starch the metallic quite a bit more of course but it korked, didn't burn and has held shape...I was so afaid that it would melt in the oven and gave it a test run and it came out great....HTH
Old 09-16-2009, 04:06

I don't I am sooooo bad about not taking pics of rushed orders....they were needed for homecoming last week! Sorry! I do have pics of the ones from last night with the metallic silver in them though....I can post a pic of those here in a bit if ya want me too?? I usually don't starch until after I bake either but on the metallic I went ahead and starched before I baked, starched again right after they were done (while they were cooling), and then again after I finished putting them together I asked my lil sister if she saw any of the black/gold korkers at their homecoming and she told me she did and that they all still looked great! I was glad to hear that
Old 09-16-2009, 04:15

Disclaimer: I'm a complete korker newbie...

How do you starch a korker AFTER it's curled??!!

All I can picture is ironing with spray starch. Is there another way? And is starching always necessary?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
Disclaimer: I'm a complete korker newbie...

How do you starch a korker AFTER it's curled??!!

All I can picture is ironing with spray starch. Is there another way? And is starching always necessary?
lol....love your disclaimer To starch a korker after it is curled, you just spray starch all over it and let it dry I hope that is how everyone else does it....only way I have ever done it heehee~ I always starch my bows and korkers to help hold and keep their shape....all of my customers love it & prefer it that way after buying from me.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:29

If you have pics of the silver that would be great. I really try to take pics of everything, but that doesn't always happen. I like to make all different kinds of things too and sometimes I forget how I made one. This can be bad! For my same order with these korkers, I need to recreate a couple of bows that I did not take pictures of and of course I don't have any more of them. Gonna have to put on the thinking cap to remember. LOL
Quote:
I don't I am sooooo bad about not taking pics of rushed orders....they were needed for homecoming last week! Sorry! I do have pics of the ones from last night with the metallic silver in them though....I can post a pic of those here in a bit if ya want me too?? I usually don't starch until after I bake either but on the metallic I went ahead and starched before I baked, starched again right after they were done (while they were cooling), and then again after I finished putting them together I asked my lil sister if she saw any of the black/gold korkers at their homecoming and she told me she did and that they all still looked great! I was glad to hear that
Old 09-16-2009, 04:41

Quote:
To starch a korker after it is curled, you just spray starch all over it and let it dry
Doesn't that leave the ribbon all... sticky?

My perspective may be skewed slightly. I make historical costumes, and I only use the "heavy" kind of starch. It would be really yucky if I didn't iron it.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:34

I want proof that metallic ribbon will kork!! I have a hard enough time trying to heat seal it.

:0)

I'm terrified of putting it in the oven...And, for the time being I just tell everyone that metallic wont kork.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:22

Okay finally, sorry, I had to upload, resize, bake a cake for my dh & feed the kids but anyhoo, here ya go....I didn't have a whole lot of metallic silver in this one because she wanted different prints & stuff too. Excuse the pic....not edited or anything
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP4233.jpg (48.3 KB, 174 views)
Sponsored Links
http://hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/Ad for Hipgirls RevA.