http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-11-2010, 01:42

Default Re: tutu bowholder question..i've searched for days on here, going through 100s of pa

I did the same thing with the hot glue and toole folded in an acordian fold. It worked okay but I would like it to be a bit fuller. I may try the elastic band!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 07-11-2010, 03:01

Default Re: tutu bowholder question..i've searched for days on here, going through 100s of pa

I use 3/8" ribbon and tie on the tulle like you would a no sew tutu. then hot glue to the front of the bodice and hot glue the ribbon ends around the back.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:12

I use either ribbon or elastic (depending on my mood) and tie it like a new sew. They I wrap it around the bodice and glue in place.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:06

I have been making these for two years now. I can not figure out how to post a question on this forum. You can check out mine at www.Patticakeboutique.com if this is what you guys are wanting I will tell you the secret.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:21

I get a piece of thread and weave it in and out of the tulle (1/4 to 1/2 from top) The thread is about 6 inches longer than the width of the bottom of bodice (where you will attach the tulle). Then I push the tulle together till I think its full enough, knot it at the end (the size of the bodice plus a very small amount to cover the sides) and cut the excess thread. Then I hot glue the top part of the tulle (where the thread is and higher) on the bottom of bodice, cover the tulle with ribbon and add your flowers/bows I hope that makes sense lol. I attached few pics
Old 07-11-2010, 07:36

I want the secret

I also have a question, what do you use for you bodice? What is the typical size of these? What about the shape, do you just cut what works for you?

Thank you ladies, I have some materials and I think I may attempt on this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofallongrandkids View Post
I have been making these for two years now. I can not figure out how to post a question on this forum. You can check out mine at www.Patticakeboutique.com if this is what you guys are wanting I will tell you the secret.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:02

I glue my tulle directly to the bodice, because I like how it's flatter at the top to make a smoother waistline, if that makes sense. I use 2-3 layers of tulle (and I still haven't posted pics of the part you wrap around the waistline .
I'll do that in a bit, I did take the pics, now got to get them resized and uploaded. My children tend to ignore me until I am busy doing something then hound me like crazy until I give up and put it off.). I sort of smoosh it onto the glue, and it does soak through. I give it a few seconds to cool off, then use my fingers to press it down really good.

As for the materials for the base, I have been using foam core, I think a lot of others do too, I have seen cardboard mentioned as well, but I like that foam core is light but rigid.

I made my bodice template to fit a 8.5x11 sheet of paper because that's all I had when I made the first one, and it seems to be a good size so I went with that. I just googled leotard and found one I liked, and freehanded the shape, I didn't feel like printing out the picture.

I use 12" strips of tulle but I use the top inch to glue, so my bow holders are probably about 22" altogether. I want to make a smaller one too, haven't decided on a size for it yet though..I know I'd want it to still be full, just smaller, iykwim.

I'm curious what the secret is too!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37

thank you all for your replys! Waiting for the secret too!
Thanks,

Karen
Old 07-12-2010, 05:59

Here it is, I take my tulle, 54 inches long and cut 8-1 yard pieces, I thread it as if I were going to gather it into a ruffle, about 3/4" from the edge. I pull it tight, wrap my thread around it about 10 times, and lay it aside. I do this for eight of them. Then I get my high temp glue gun and glue each one right on top of the bodice, about 1-1/2" from the bottom edge, glue my streamers on top of the tulle and finish the dress off. I glue felt on the back and I always use dark brown to hide the back. My husband is a plumber and brings me home the heavy duty cardbroad, this is what I use for my form, but the foam board will work just as fine for those who are buying, (never thought of that). I would never use a light weight cardboard, it just won't hold up going to craft shows.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43

Ok, sorry it's taken so long to get back to this, but here are the pics I said I would post!

I'm hoping it won't reorganize my pics because it did that last time I posted. I took a picture of what it looked like before I added the tulle to the sides, you can see how flat it is, how it just goes straight down. I also took a pic of where I put the glue, and showed it being wrapped around the side, and a pic or two of the end, where it's much more rounded like a real tutu would be.

Excuse my mess on my table! I have nowhere to put most of my stuff so it's mainly on the table and things get a little disorganized.

The bowholder is also before I went through the tulle and fluffed it by separating each layer (I fold each strip in half top to bottom if that makes sense).

Hope these help at least someone, I know I am a very visual person so having pics to show me exactly what someone means helps a lot!

Edit to add: I know the tutu looks really low down, but I had a lot of problems getting the ribbon waist right when it was higher so I am trying that to see how I like it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zebra_bowholder_flat.jpg (661.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg zebra_bowholder_glue.jpg (429.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg zebra_bowholder_resized.jpg (535.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg zebra_bowholder_wrap.jpg (448.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg zebra_bowholder_after.jpg (592.4 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Aeonix; 07-15-2010 at 10:45. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg