Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-11-2009, 12:17

Cool Weird Cheer Bow Question

Are they supposed to be so darn stiff??

I made the cheer bows using No Bow No Go's instructions... ok.. you know I modified a bit to use the materials I had on hand, after all I'm only doing a sample for someone who wants to see what I can do.

At any rate....

I used the "shimmery fabric adhered to a grosgrain ribbon, so that its shimmery fabric the width of the ribbon... then I adhered smaller grosgrain on top of that... smaller grosgrain on top of that...

That puppy is so stiff, I bent my needles trying to sew it so I had to use an.... alternate method LOL.

I am I going to look foolish showing up with a sample that stiff? Are they supposed to be more flowing on the tails or is it different when its a competition bow... and if they are supposed to be "flowing", how can I get mine back in that condition LOL.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2009, 12:37

Default Re: Weird Cheer Bow Question

The cheer bows I make with sequined fabric or even shimmery fabric tend to be a little on the stiff side. I use the same instructions albeit modified as well. But any team I have ever dealt with tends to prefer them that way. They are more sturdy.

When layering, I use E6000 between the layers. I only use heat n bond to bond fabric to ribbon. That may help with some of your stiffness if you can stand the stink.

When using heat n bond, I use the lite. I iron it lightly on to the grosgrain (just enough so it sticks to the ribbon) and then iron it again on to the fabric (about the same). I do not pass the iron over it for a prolonged period of time. Could you perhaps be ironing the heat n bond too much? That can tend to make it as stiff as cardboard. I don't think I have ever had the problem of bent needles.

When assembling the bow with a needle and thread, I use a thicker needle and embroidery thread. That makes it easier for me and also the thread is more secure.

HTH and good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Ann

Last edited by gmcks2001; 09-11-2009 at 12:43. Reason: typos
Old 09-11-2009, 04:59

Thank so much for your responses! I hope they like my sample. If so, it will be my first University squad! I have 2 elementary squads, but they don't do competitions, so this is my first foray into this type.

Thanks again ladies!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40

Wow!!!! Congrats. I have finished two Pop Warner organizations (over 300 bows). I am hoping for some high school orders this winter. I would love to have a University order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTexasBazaar View Post
Thank so much for your responses! I hope they like my sample. If so, it will be my first University squad! I have 2 elementary squads, but they don't do competitions, so this is my first foray into this type.

Thanks again ladies!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:42

Wow, you
Old 09-16-2009, 02:44

Wow YOU sound busy! I will hopefully find out today if they are going to order from me. I really hope so. However... I haven't heard from the coach, so I don't know how good its looking. I've been dealing with one of the cheerleaders.... so I guess I will see here in about 15 minutes when class starts. It would be some great to have the extra money because my VA money doesn't look like its going to start anytime soon.

I'll keep ya posted
Old 09-17-2009, 08:24

Well????How'd it go? I've had my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTexasBazaar View Post
Wow YOU sound busy! I will hopefully find out today if they are going to order from me. I really hope so. However... I haven't heard from the coach, so I don't know how good its looking. I've been dealing with one of the cheerleaders.... so I guess I will see here in about 15 minutes when class starts. It would be some great to have the extra money because my VA money doesn't look like its going to start anytime soon.

I'll keep ya posted
Old 09-18-2009, 11:37

She left everything at her house! I won't see her again until Monday, but I know I got some orders because she said... oh I have all those sales sheet things because we picked out a bunch of stuff we want... so I don't know exactly what they ordered! Probably headbands? Some bows? I wish I knew too! LOL I'll let ya know!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.