ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-02-2009, 11:50

Default Stacked bows question...

I feel like I am asking a lot of questions and not really helping anyone else, ha, but it is most likely due to the fact that I do not have anything to teach You are all way ahead of me in this..

So, what lengths of what size ribbon do you use with your stacked ribbons? I was attempting to use 27 inches of 7/8 ribbon for the center boutique bow, but 1. I can't seem to get the poofiness that I see others get, which I assume is a folding issue as I can't get the butterfly affect perfect, and 2. the directions I was looking at said to cut the surrounds one inch bigger than the boutique bow which would mean 28 inches and it looks way too big that way. What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone see what my issue is here? What do you usually use for your boutique center 1.5, 7/8, 5/8 and at what length? And what length for the surrounds?

Thanks ahead of time! I am so confused and frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2009, 12:00

Default Re: Stacked bows question...

I'm not really sure about the stacked part. But with the boutique bow, doing the accordion fold makes it really puffy. Try the instructions on hipgirl, they are the best that I have found by far(without using a template!)hth
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...roducts_id=398
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...oducts_id=2379
and for the accordion fold
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...oducts_id=1546
Old 09-03-2009, 12:05

I just started making these so in no way am I a pro. lol however I was having the same issue and I found that for the center bow with 7/8 if I use about 22 in of ribbon it turns out really nice. IMO anyway I might be doing it wrong but I have found that to work best and 7/8 is the largest I have used. So Im not any help with that, but I hope this helps you
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38

I am able to answer the surrounds question. Some people like the looks of "loose" surrounds, while others like them nice and tight on the bows. For the loose ones, I would cut them like the directions say. I don't make these too often, but when I do, I usually cut my surrounds the same length of the bow ribbon, or just slightly longer because I like the surrounds to hug the bow. HTH!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:29

Thank you all so much!

I like the looks of it when it hugs the bow, too, and it seems like if I have a 27 in bow, then I need to cut it at around 18 or 19 for it to look right to me, I don't know how on earth I'm messing it up if it works for you when you cut it an inch longer than that of the boutique bow. Aye. haha
Old 09-03-2009, 08:38

Are you making 2 surrounds (1 figure 8) or 4 surrounds (for each loop of the bow)? If you're making 4, I would cut it the same length as the ribbon (it'll hug). If you're just making a figure 8 (2 loops on the surrounds), then I think it would be shorter. HTH.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
Are you making 2 surrounds (1 figure 8) or 4 surrounds (for each loop of the bow)? If you're making 4, I would cut it the same length as the ribbon (it'll hug). If you're just making a figure 8 (2 loops on the surrounds), then I think it would be shorter. HTH.
I was doing the four surrounds, and for some reason it is just not hugging. Maybe I'm just not going about it in the right way. I hadn't tried the figure 8 yet.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.