Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-19-2008, 09:47

Default Sequin Cheer Bows

I have been asked to make sequin cheer bows. I have played around with first putting fabric tack on the grosgrain ribbon and then laying that on the sequin fabric. Wait till dry then cut out. Well my only complaint is I used white grosgrain ribbon and you could see the lines from the fabric tac glue through the ribbon. Second I tried using wonder under fusable backing on the ribbon then ironed the ribbon to the sequin fabric.
It seemed to work but it alot of work.
What has anyone else used. And how do you get nice clean edges that don't fray? I ran a lighter down the side but it melted more in some places.. HELP..
Peppermint
Sponsored Links
shopthecarousel-300.jpg
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43

Default Re: Sequin Cheer Bows

I would love to see pictures (and maybe directions) of cheer bows people have made
Old 09-26-2012, 08:48

Default Re: Sequin Cheer Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermom3 View Post
I have been asked to make sequin cheer bows. I have played around with first putting fabric tack on the grosgrain ribbon and then laying that on the sequin fabric. Wait till dry then cut out. Well my only complaint is I used white grosgrain ribbon and you could see the lines from the fabric tac glue through the ribbon. Second I tried using wonder under fusable backing on the ribbon then ironed the ribbon to the sequin fabric.
It seemed to work but it alot of work.
What has anyone else used. And how do you get nice clean edges that don't fray? I ran a lighter down the side but it melted more in some places.. HELP..
Peppermint

Hate to break it to you but cheer bows are a lot of work.

Every cheer bow I do has some form of machine sewing, fusible, stiffening, baking and hand sewing element to it. If not, all of the above and then some.

I will walk you through a bow I just created for an example. I used 2 1/4 grosgrain for the center and 5/8 for the edges for my bow base. I used 1 1/2 glitter accent ribbon as well as 100 rhinestones in a motif on these bows.

1 - Prewash and iron all ribbon.

2 - Cut ribbon to length required, heat seal ends

3 - Sew 5/8 to 2 1/4, zig zag stitch. Go forward 1/2" - 1" and reverse at least 2x to prevent having the ends come loose.

4 - Repeat 3 with the other side

5 - Iron

6 - Apply stabilizer to glitter (heat seal ends first) and bond to desired location on sewn ribbon base

7 - Sew, straight stitch around the glitter to double secure it

8 - Iron again

9 - Sew edges zig - zag again in the opposite direction to ensure they are firmly secured

10 - Fold and sew the bow

11- Stiffen, 1st coat set aside until dry (usually overnight)

12 - Perk up loops if needed, apply starch and bake 20 mins minimum, or until fully dry

13 - Apply pony o and finish center

14 - Check for any strings and clean those up

15 - Cut tails with wood burner

16 - Sew down the new ends where bonded material has been secured to ensure they will not come loose as the bow is worn

17 - Create rhinestone template and set up transfers

18 - Apply rhinestone work

19 - Finish with an additional coat of starch or stiffener if needed

20 - Clean up starch/stiffener residue from rhinestones.

And that was my process. Since these are extra wide I did use that extra coat of stiffener. I let it air dry because at that point all the work is done and you can't exactly bake after rhinestones are applied so that's the only way.

I only cut fabrics with a rotary cutter. I don't use a lighter on ends but a wood burner because it's hotter and gets a nice precise cut as you're sealing.

To be honest I'm sure a lot of people don't prewash ribbon or iron it, I just don't like creases which can happen and it also gives me a chance to see where splices are on some rolls. A splice can ruin a bow order and I've found one the hard way doing a mass sew of all the ribbon so that extra step saves me a lot of headaches.

I am sure some people only bond or glue fabric, others sew... I do both just so I know that nothing is going to come undone. I always iron and iron again and again since if there's any ripple or bump before baking it'll Never come out after you bake it. I do both because if the bow gets soaked it will still hold shape. I prefer rotary cutters because they do get a cleaner cut and also because it speeds me up than when I am doing the same with scissors.

Hopefully this helps. I love cheer bows which is why I do them. But I'm pretty exacting so the perfectionist in me really comes out hard then. Time wise the above bows took around 20-22 hours each if I count drying and washing time.

Last edited by Vexys; 09-26-2012 at 08:50. Reason: quote
Sponsored Links