150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-10-2008, 10:00

Default Re: Non-slip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibug View Post
Hey Mindy. You changed your username and stuff! Now you are a jr member! But I love the name! SO cute!
That Ali!! Now everyone gets to see how much I really "talk"

Old 02-11-2008, 06:28

Uuuuughhhhh! The magnet seems like it would work--but I prefer the partially lined clip--I have been using the Duck "Hold IT" for Ash, and it holds...but always like to try new things, and I think it will be the velvet ribbon...so you just line the clip with grosgrain as usual, then apply a strip of velvet ribbon with hot glue?
Cindy
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasbowtique View Post
Has anyone lined the clips w/ velvet to see how well they will hold? I am thinking about getting away from the duck rug-hold stuff. It does wear off after ALOT of use. I am considering trying different options. I was wondering if anyone had a opinion on the velvet b4 I order some.
they're perfect.. i prefer velvet.!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:47

Did you look at the 'wholesale' section of The Ribbon Retreat? That's where the 1/4" velvet is at. It's not on the 'retail' site. (the link to the wholesale is on the left - you just have to 'register' to order from there) And I know for a fact that its there because I just ordered 3 colors that arrived a week ago.

There are a couple of different ways you can line with velvet. You can cut it to do a partial lining - (I think I cut a strip to 4 1/4 inches for a single prong clip). It's VERY easy to heat seal. I just hold the end up to a flame, and you can actually see it 'melt'. Very quick, very fast. I haven't tried using a wood burner on it - I'm a bit afraid since It reacts so quickly to heat.

Or you can just cut a small strip (heat seal) and then glue that directly underneath the prong - so if you lined it with a different ribbon, the velvet will be 'hidden'. (to clarify - line your clip, THEN glue on the velvet underneath)

I also use the 1/4" velvet to line the inside of my headbands (the plastic ones covered with ribbon). I'm sure there are alot of people who do that too.

I will say that I tried to looking around for magnets to try and copy the 'no slippy' clips - and honestly, it's way more trouble than it's worth. First, I couldn't find a magnent that was the same 'thickness' as the ones they use. At craft stores the magnets are on the thinner side. What makes those clips work so well (in my opinion) is that the magnet 'evens out' the clip. When you look at an unlined single prong clip from the side, you can see that the tips touch when closed, but near the base, there is space inbetween (does that make sense?) So by putting the magnet on, it closes 'evenly'. Then they line it in velvet. - for the 'grip'. They work well, but are bulky. So it's not really 'my thing'.

Anyway, hope that helped.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49

one more thing - fully lined velvet clips hold REALLY well. But they're tougher to put in the hair when clipping to a pony tail. I found that partial lined works good too, and still allows you to use with ponytails, clip to headbands, etc.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachL View Post
one more thing - fully lined velvet clips hold REALLY well. But they're tougher to put in the hair when clipping to a pony tail. I found that partial lined works good too, and still allows you to use with ponytails, clip to headbands, etc.
Oh, I see now!! I just went to the retail side. Thanks sooooo much for all of that!! I am planning to do it both ways. partial lined and "hidden". I am very excited about ordering it and getting it in to try. I will also have to do it on the headbands. I don't sell the but my little girl likes them and refuses to wear them if I put the velcro in them. She dosen't like the way it grabs her hair. You are awesome!! I am off to shop now.