Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-17-2009, 09:14

Default Need Help with Envirotex Lite Resin

I have been using Diamond Glaze. I am out so I bought the envirotex lite. I am scared on how to do this. I have around 500 bottle caps to finish.

1. What do you mix the two part mixture in?

2. Will a plastic spoon work?

3. Should I mix this on my kitchen table?

4. How do you know how much to mix? I don't want to waste it.

5. I bought the $30.00 one much more expensive than diamond glaze. How many caps will it do

6. Is it better than Diamond Glaze?

7. How long do I wait for them to be finished after I coat them?

8. How do I get air bubbles away?

9. What do you put the resin on the caps with? A paint brush? or do you dip it in the resin.

I would say this seems like a lot. I just don't want to mess anything up. When I start something knew I am a little nervous.

Thanks,
Teresa
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/deescraftsupplies-300.png
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36

Default Re: Need Help with Envirotex Lite Resin

Did you read the sheet of instructions with the resin? that will answer a lot of your questions. It's fine to mix with a plastic spoon. I usually use a tongue depressor to stir and cheap paint brushes to put it on (you won't be able to reuse them). I only mix a small amount at a time because it does start to get thick after a while. I let mine dry for 2 days.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyfuny View Post
Did you read the sheet of instructions with the resin? that will answer a lot of your questions. It's fine to mix with a plastic spoon. I usually use a tongue depressor to stir and cheap paint brushes to put it on (you won't be able to reuse them). I only mix a small amount at a time because it does start to get thick after a while. I let mine dry for 2 days.
thanks so much. How do I know how much to mix. Do you use a measuring spoon or measuring cup?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:49

When I first started I used one of the medicine caps from my kids' Tylenol! LOL Just start with a few teaspoons, it goes a long way.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:20

I ended up buying those "condiment" cups from a party supply place. There's like 500 in the pack so I know I won't run out anytime this century :lol: . For mixing/applying I use a popsicle stick. To get rid of bubbles I use an embossing gun about 4-5 inches over them after 10-15 min. To measure (be sure to be very exact), I've forfeited one of my 1/2T measuring spoons, I just wipe it out w/ a paper towel after each use. I have about 5 pieces of cardboard I lay all my caps out on, and then keep the cup on a piece of wax paper or paper towel - that way I don't have to worry about spillage.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:16

Yes, read the box first it will answer some questions. I measure out each part by using a syringe (free from pharmacy). Use a different syringe for each part so it won't harden and you can reuse.
Hope this helps!

1. What do you mix the two part mixture in? I use a plastic cup.

2. Will a plastic spoon work? Yes.

3. Should I mix this on my kitchen table? I do, but put some paper down or something. I actually have an old cookie sheet that I use just for crafting. I line it with wax paper each time and then just trash the liner.

4. How do you know how much to mix? I don't want to waste it. You'll need to do small batches or it will "set up" on you. You can always mix up more.

5. I bought the $30.00 one much more expensive than diamond glaze. How many caps will it do. I really haven't counted, sorry.

6. Is it better than Diamond Glaze? Never used that. But I love ETLite!

7. How long do I wait for them to be finished after I coat them? I wait 48 hours to ensure they don't get fingerprints, etc.

8. How do I get air bubbles away? Take a straw and gently blow on the top of the caps. You'll see the bubbles pop. Easy!

9. What do you put the resin on the caps with? A paint brush? or do you dip it in the resin. I use a cheapie kids paintbrush.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:53

thanks to everyone I would love to post some bottle cap images that I made. Could I email them to someone and then they could post them to the board. I only know how to post images through photo bucket. I guess I could also give everyone my photo bucket link. Let me know what to do. I have lots of images. I will gather my materials and get started soon.
Thanks,
Teresa
Old 07-17-2009, 12:13

Hi Teresa, something that I will add just to clairfy further is that ET Lite MUST be mixed in equal parts. It also must be thouroughly stirred for a full 2 minutes. When you stir make sure you are scraping the sides and botton of whatever you are mixing it in. Also, if any spills over the side of the cap it must be gotten off immediately. ET is very sticky so if you get it on your hands it will be difficult to get it off. I try to avoid getting it on my hands by wearing latex gloves but cutting off the finger tips so that I can still wipe up any spills and stuff like that. Don't be afraid. It will take some time to get used to but in the end it really is worth is. ET is the best stuff to use IMO. Also your 32 oz. cap will do at least your 500 caps. I haven't counted either but I know it will do that many. I don't paint mine one with a paint brush, I use a popsicle stick and then carefully spread it out to the sides. I like it to be very three dimensional.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44

this thread has answered a lot of questions for me that I didn't even know I had yet. I do have another question.

When adding bling do you add it before or after you do the elite?
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23

i didnt read everyone's post--so if i am repeating--sorry.

this is what i do

I use a plastic spoon and those little paper cups. i put one spoonful of each liquid and stir. i use the cheap paint brushes and do my caps. i dont really ever do more than about 50 at a time. sometimes i have to make more mix.

i use a lighter to get the bubbles out. i use the lighter that you refill. not a zippo. but the one with the flexible long end. do you know which one i mean? i do it a few times, waiting sometime between each time.

i let them stay there for 24 hrs before i touch them.

i throw everything away afterwards--you can put the brush in gasoline if you want to save it, but i bought the big pack of brushes at walmart for like $2, so i just throw them out!

the trick at putting it on the caps--i put a drop in the center and then push it to the sides--you dont want it to go over or it will stick to what you have them sitting on.

Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/girlyribbons.gif