ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

New To Forum? Please check this out:

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-17-2009, 01:24
Default Re: Need Help with Envirotex Lite Resin

Originally Posted by deanew View Post
this thread has answered a lot of questions for me that I didn't even know I had yet. I do have another question.

When adding bling do you add it before or after you do the elite?
i do it before
Rachel-mom to Maddie, Ashlyn & Emma
scentsy, wickless candles, car candles, plug ins

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 02:30

So, here's my bit of experience with some of the questions that might not be completely answered or a little bit different way of doing it. Kaneogirl answered a lot of my questions when I started! She may post some responses later too.

4. How do you know how much to mix? I don't want to waste it. I use the cap to measure and use one cap full of each. Any more than that will start to go bad on you before you can get it used. Depending on how thick you put it on figure you can probably get 30-40 bottlecaps done with this amount.

5. I bought the $30.00 one much more expensive than diamond glaze. How many caps will it do. I bought the smaller size $10-$11 before I used my coupon at Michaels. I have done over 300 bottlecaps/scrabble tiles with this and still probably have about half filled bottles left! So, it goes a really long way.

6. Is it better than Diamond Glaze? I never used the Diamond Glaze. After researching on here, most people seemed to prefer the ET. Plus I have read that the Diamond Glaze doesn't hold up well during the summer heat. No personal experience though.

7. How long do I wait for them to be finished after I coat them?
At least 48 hours. I usually leave mine for 72 hours. And you want to be sure and keep them covered for at least the first 24 hours, so they don't get any dust. I usually just leave mine covered the whole 72 hours, except when I take a peek at them.

8. How do I get air bubbles away? Just gently blow or exhale on them, once the bubbles start to surface. If you get deeper ones, get a toothpick and pull them to the surface.

9. What do you put the resin on the caps with? A paint brush? or do you dip it in the resin. I use a medicine dropper. You can get a package of 2 at the dollar tree for $1. I usually clean mine out and twist a paper towel down in it to get it all out and I can reuse a dropper a few times.

Whoo! I hope that helps!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:02

Ah yes - yet another response!!!

Ok - one thing I have learned - is to make SURE your resin is at room temp of 70 degrees or above, and be very wary of humidity! I was storing my bottles in our basement, and ruined about 100 caps!!! It was gettin ga spiderweb pattern in it and I had bubbles that would NOT release. Now, I keep the box of resins on top of my fridge or on top of my computer hard drive. Keeps it warm here in WI (BTW - it is 55 right now!!!!)

I also use the cheap brushes and throw everything away. I use th cups that I posted from Lee valley the other day. Measure exactly.

I put them on a wax paper lined piece of cardboard and then I put them in the lower portion of my double oven - I don't use it except for Turkey day. I don't turn on the heat - but I know dust is't flying around in there! I curefor at least 72 hours.

I also blow gently through a straw to get the bubbles out and I only do 20-24 caps at a time.
Curly Girls Designs...because hair deserves flair!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:07

I add my bling afterwards. If you put them in wet resin they can slide around on you and also they will bury into the resin and lose some of their "sparkle". I just apply them after with a dot of E6000.
Boutique Bottle Cap, Scrabble Tile and Glass Tile Images

Old 07-17-2009, 09:14

thanks to all everyone rocks. I will do this tomorrow. Oh well if I mess up I can't redo. Right not everything is perfect the first time. Can't wait to get started.
Love you all,
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55

I only mix one Capfull at a time... no measure cups needed .... I also use the plastic disposable cups you get a the store and I mix with a popcicle stick... I apply with a water color brush that you can get like 100 for a $1.99 at HL and toss when Im done
I say what I want, when I want, no one pays me... Its my opinion take it or leave it
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16

I used ET lite last night for the first time on scrabble tiles- after using diamond glaze, i got used to that consistancy- but the bubbles were MUCH easier to get out with the etlite. I do like the thickness throughout of the diamond glaze, but after et sat for a minute, it did just fine, and the drying process is a bit longer, but the tiles already look much more "crisp" than the diamond glaze does. So, now i'm waiting...

My friend does scrabble and she swears by et lite, so after my diamond glaze spilled over, i bought et.

I covered a small cutting board in wax paper and taped it on the back. I use the cutting board to cut the tiles and varnish them, then used it to apply the et lite. It wont stick to the wax paper if it dribbles down. I hope i mixed it enough, we'll see!

I'm in texas, adn it's cold and crispy outside (no humidity!!) so i'm in a pinch, i need the heat to help cure the resin but dont want the humidity. I'll see how they are after 2 days of drying and if worse comes to worse.. i'll turn a small floor heater on in a room and set them in there. *sighs* i have a show on saturday i'm trying to get these dry for!
Sponsored Links