New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-14-2009, 09:59

Red face Please Help

I had a cheer coach call me today about making cheer bows. This is my first order of any kind! I'm really excited and nervous and not really sure what I'm doing!! I need a little help from the experts. What type of bows ect.. are the best for cheer...do you put them on clips or pony o's? If you have a BIG order of say like 75 bows what do you charge per bow, in other words do you give a discount and if so, how much? I'm sorry for the stupid questions, I guess your getting an idea of how lost I really am. Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Anne
Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2009, 11:03

Default Re: Please Help

Yowzer! You might need to take a step back and slow down a little. If you've never even made a cheer bow, you're probably going to need to practice.

Did you ask them what style they want? I know usually they say no metal at all, so you will want to find that out also.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14

What I did is put together a little catalog of bows I could make them, including bows they had seen on the internet they had liked, plus my prices. Then I let them pick which they wanted. They asked for all of theirs to be on pony o's but you can give them a choice. The way a lot of women do it on here is charge a dollar per inch on the bow. Like a 6 inch cheer bow might be about 6 dollars. HOWEVER, that would be for a single layer of grosgrain. Its going to be more if the bow is made with several colors of ribbon or made with sequined or metallic ribbon that has to be attached with hemming tape. Then its going to go up in price. I don't really have a formular to use. I'm also building my business so I tried to give these girls pretty good prices so maybe the word would spread faster.

I know some people take the amount of money it took to make the item and then they double it and there's the price. I would probably just research what some are going for on the internet and go from there.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyfuny View Post
Yowzer! You might need to take a step back and slow down a little. If you've never even made a cheer bow, you're probably going to need to practice.

Did you ask them what style they want? I know usually they say no metal at all, so you will want to find that out also.
I agree with you. They look easy to make, but it takes practice to get all parts of the bow to match all the other bows.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespotteddot View Post
What I did is put together a little catalog of bows I could make them, including bows they had seen on the internet they had liked, plus my prices. Then I let them pick which they wanted. They asked for all of theirs to be on pony o's but you can give them a choice. The way a lot of women do it on here is charge a dollar per inch on the bow. Like a 6 inch cheer bow might be about 6 dollars. HOWEVER, that would be for a single layer of grosgrain. Its going to be more if the bow is made with several colors of ribbon or made with sequined or metallic ribbon that has to be attached with hemming tape. Then its going to go up in price. I don't really have a formular to use. I'm also building my business so I tried to give these girls pretty good prices so maybe the word would spread faster.

I know some people take the amount of money it took to make the item and then they double it and there's the price. I would probably just research what some are going for on the internet and go from there.

Well, you want to make sure that you are only using YOUR pictures. You wouldn't want to pass off another's work as your own. Also, you will want to practice making the bows before you tell someone you can make them.

Cheer bows aren't any harder to make that regular bows, but they are usually bigger. My DH is a cheerleading coach and I make A LOT of cheer bows. You will need to put them on pony tail holders because most are not allowed to have any metal. You will also want to find out ifm they are wanting spirit bows or if they are for competition. They usually like the extra big ones for competition and those are the ones that I sell the most of. They are made with 3" wide ribbon and I charge $12-$16 depending on the ribbon they want. Then there is a smaller one made with 2.25" ribbon and the smallest ones I make are made with 1.5 ribbon. They are all just a variation of the tails down bow, but you will change the size of the loops and tails dependin on what they want.

Do a google search for cheer bows and you will find a lot of examples to try. HERE is a good site to look at. She has some really pretty ones.

I can try to take some pics of mine if you want. PM me if you want to see them. I don't have many pics becasue I always meet with the teams in person and take samples of bows and my color chart. I have found that taking the actual bow samples instead of just pics really helps. That way they can compare the sizes.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:52

[quote=RockStarRibbons;296440]Well, you want to make sure that you are only using YOUR pictures. You wouldn't want to pass off another's work as your own. Also, you will want to practice making the bows before you tell someone you can make them.quote]

Oh of course you wouldn't try to pass off someone else's bows as your own. All I meant was the girls I did them for just had a bow from the internet that they liked and I included that one in the pricing so they could see how much something similar would be. I would never encourage stealing someone else's hard work as your own.

That would be considered a bow making sin!

Last edited by thespotteddot; 07-16-2009 at 04:57.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:57

Thank you so much everyone for your help!! I do make bows, I just have never made or sold cheer bows. I'm planning on making up sample bows with their team colors and meeting in person with the coach. I do have a question though, when adding the different ribbons do you use Wonder Under or something like that to adhere them to each other before you begin folding? Once again ladies, thank you so much for taking the time to lend me a hand. Everyones advice is greatly appreciated.

Anne
Old 07-16-2009, 11:28

I would also make them on Pony O's because some teams don't allow metal, at least that is what I experienced, and also the pony o's stay in better. Hope that hels.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:38

You can use heat n bond...they sell it in strips or whole sheets of it that you can cut to fit the size of the ribbon you're using. I'm sure there's other stuff. Oh, and use upholstery (sp) thread. It's stronger.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:31

CONGRATS!!! From my cheer mom experience a cheer bow is the basic 2 loop 2 tail bow and you put them on pony-o's. The best instructions are from no bow no go. As far as pricing, I have never sold them, just always done them for my daughter's team for costs--they love me for that. Good luck--let me know if I can help you with anymore ????
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg