key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-14-2009, 09:08

Angry Help me make Korkers for Madalynn's Pageant!!!

Okay Ladies so my korkers suck!!! I have made two before and they turned out decent enough for her to wear them but for some reason the one I made yesterday got all tangled in itself and looked horrible...to horrible to post. I was trying to make it really full and poofy and it was just a mess instead. I would also like to try and sew this one so she can keep it and I havn't done that before. I tried to sew it the second time it didn't get tight enough and looked floppy and bad. I have always just tied them and she's wore them once and caput their done for. I love the look when their tied how full and poofy they are hopefully that can be done by sewing it.

Does anyone know why it tangled in itself. I was cutting the ribbon 3 inches and I had 29 (I think..opps lost count) korkes in the bow. Was the ribbon to long or did I not have enough korkers....grrr. Now I know why I will never sell my bows...lol. TIA... I am gonna try to look some different stuff up to try after I feed the monkeys but I thought I would ask you talented ladies your opinions first...
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:16

Default Re: Help me make Korkers for Madalynn's Pageant!!!

sorry I cant help, do you want me to make them for you as a raok?
try using 45-50 korks in the bow! it wont be floppy then!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31

I was having the same problem -- mine were HORRIBLE. Then I used these directions: Hair-Hardware.com - Hair Clips, Ribbon, Headbands and more... and they came out awesome. Here are the ones I've made since then (the blue and white one was the first one I did with these instructions): DCBaby on Etsy - Korkers

I cut the korker pieces to 2.5", but to make sure they were even, I measured the 1st couple and then used those pieces to cut the next few. It turned out that a korker piece cut to 2.5" has 5 "curls" on it, so it was really easy to figure out where the middle was. I used around 35-40 pieces for each korker and got a soft doll needle from Joann's, which is a lot longer and bigger than a regular needle - made it much easier to stack up all the korkers! And once it's all sewn and tied off, just fluff it up a bit to make it more round.

HTH, please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help out any more. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:10

I'm interested in this. That hair hardware video showed sewing and then sewing BACK through. I've also seen them where they sew through once and then wrap around. THEN I've also see where they just use elastic thread and just wrap without sewing through.

Hey you korker ladies....Which ways best?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:50

Smile Re: Help me make Korkers for Madalynn's Pageant!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfancypants View Post
I don't know what raok means lol but thanks for the offer...unfortunately her pageant is Sunday so I don't think their would be enough time for me to get the ribbon to you and then you to me...leave it to me to wait till last minute. Thanks for the info on the korkers though I will definatly try more korkers :-) hopefully my next attempt is much better...lol. This time I will have to post pics...lol. Jut wanted to say your korkers are awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung434 View Post
I was having the same problem -- mine were HORRIBLE. Then I used these directions: Hair-Hardware.com - Hair Clips, Ribbon, Headbands and more... and they came out awesome. Here are the ones I've made since then (the blue and white one was the first one I did with these instructions): DCBaby on Etsy - Korkers

I cut the korker pieces to 2.5", but to make sure they were even, I measured the 1st couple and then used those pieces to cut the next few. It turned out that a korker piece cut to 2.5" has 5 "curls" on it, so it was really easy to figure out where the middle was. I used around 35-40 pieces for each korker and got a soft doll needle from Joann's, which is a lot longer and bigger than a regular needle - made it much easier to stack up all the korkers! And once it's all sewn and tied off, just fluff it up a bit to make it more round.

HTH, please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help out any more. Good luck!
Thanks for the link to the video it was a huge help. I am a visuale learner so the video helped a lot. Before I was letting each korker slide down alone and I think that's why mine messed up. I'm gonna try it again. Thanks for the tip with the 5 curls...for 2.5. I'm not sure what size dowles I have (can you tell I am an amature) but after I measure that is a good way to remember. Next time I am at JoAnn's I will have to get one of those needles if I decide I like sewing Korkers. I have to stop in there this week anyways to get a sewing machine needle for MIL so she can fool with stuff for her pageant (she is waiting last minute as well lol)...thanks again for you help and the video link and your korkers look gorgeous as well.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:23

yes, I was also going to suggest at that length there needs to be more korkers in them.

I also use a piece of elastic cord and pull it really tight, we have some that she has had for three years and they are still fine, perhaps they need to be tied tighter.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29

I use something similar to this for making my korkers, there is also a tutorial on how to make on in HipGirls free tuts

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-in1-Korker-Box-w-instructions-Unique-Boutique-BCMM_W0QQitemZ400061153444QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5d2580c0a4&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293 %3A1|294%3A50
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfancypants View Post
Yeah, I start with at LEAST 40 pieces in my big kokers. (I usually add more though) You need a lot for them to look full. I always sew my korkers, I don't wrap around at all, just sew through and then back again. I like to use a double threaded ribbon too.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:38

Ladies thank for your help...I am sure it is gonna help a ton. Unfortunately thanks to my hubby I am still korking ribbon (I have been all day). I still have two or more dowel rods to complete. Hubby used all my dowel rods for other things...god if I know what so I only have 1...one dowel to do all the korkers.

I may strangle that man when he walks in the door...lol. I finished two dowels full of korker ribbon before I realized that I don't like how it looks after it's baked (lost all the luster and shinyness it had) so I had to start over with different ribbon. I just bought cheap Walmart ribbon since that was the only place open at 12am when I went shopping. That's probably my problem...lol.

I ended up going with this ribbon (all from Walmart) that is red and says "Proud to be an American", a blue ribbon I really like that says "USA" in red and white, and just plain white ribbon. The korker is mostly gonna be made up of the blue ribbon with just the red and white as accents...hopefully it turns out nice. I will post pics when done :-)

Thanks again ladies!!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMs0805 View Post
Ladies thank for your help...I am sure it is gonna help a ton. Unfortunately thanks to my hubby I am still korking ribbon (I have been all day). I still have two or more dowel rods to complete. Hubby used all my dowel rods for other things...god if I know what so I only have 1...one dowel to do all the korkers.

I may strangle that man when he walks in the door...lol. I finished two dowels full of korker ribbon before I realized that I don't like how it looks after it's baked (lost all the luster and shinyness it had) so I had to start over with different ribbon. I just bought cheap Walmart ribbon since that was the only place open at 12am when I went shopping. That's probably my problem...lol.

I ended up going with this ribbon (all from Walmart) that is red and says "Proud to be an American", a blue ribbon I really like that says "USA" in red and white, and just plain white ribbon. The korker is mostly gonna be made up of the blue ribbon with just the red and white as accents...hopefully it turns out nice. I will post pics when done :-)

Thanks again ladies!!

Good Luck with it!! DH can be so goofy sometimes!!! LOL!!! I am sure they will turn out very nice! Hey what part of WV are you from??