http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-10-2009, 01:41

Default Elastic on button pony-o's???

OK - I really like to use the thick Goody elastics from WM when I make my button ponytail holders, and I use the smaller ones for the piggy tail sets. Up to now, I have been removing the shank, putting in the elastic, and re-tying with wire. I was trying to put a set in a doll hair piggy (prop) and the elastic snapped. Now I can't do anything with that set.

If I just wanted to loop the elastics through, in case they break, they can be replaced, HOW IN THE HECK-EK DO YOU GET THE ELASTICS THROUGH THE SHANK???!!! I am dumbfounded! There is no way the big ones would fit and even the small ones won't go through folded over. Is this impossible????
Shelley
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 07-10-2009, 02:53

Default Re: Elastic on button pony-o's???

This is the way I do it and it works and is quick and easy. Forget the large elastics cos like you said they won't go through. Use the thin elastics only. Thread a needle with reasonably strong cotton (I double the thread), thread the needle through the shank for a few inches. Hook the elastic with the needle and thread, thread the needle back into the shank and pull.....the thread will pull the elastic through the hole in the shank - stop there (otherwise if you keep pulling, you will pull the elastic all the way through and then you'll have to start all over again). You will have like a figure 8 with the elastic (a loop either side of the shank) and from there you just hook one of the elastic loops over the other, pull and bingo...finished!! I hope you understand all this, but it really is very easy and simple and only takes a few seconds to do.
Linda
Old 07-10-2009, 11:28

Linda - you are a genius!!! OK! I totally got it from your description!!!! I will go to WM today and find some larger but skinnier ponytail holders and give it a try! Thank you!!!!
Shelley
Old 07-10-2009, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindah123 View Post
This is the way I do it and it works and is quick and easy. Forget the large elastics cos like you said they won't go through. Use the thin elastics only. Thread a needle with reasonably strong cotton (I double the thread), thread the needle through the shank for a few inches. Hook the elastic with the needle and thread, thread the needle back into the shank and pull.....the thread will pull the elastic through the hole in the shank - stop there (otherwise if you keep pulling, you will pull the elastic all the way through and then you'll have to start all over again). You will have like a figure 8 with the elastic (a loop either side of the shank) and from there you just hook one of the elastic loops over the other, pull and bingo...finished!! I hope you understand all this, but it really is very easy and simple and only takes a few seconds to do.
Linda
Thank you for posting this!! I've been using the big ones too and had several break but this sounds SO much better!

www.sassyfrog.etsy.com
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49

Ok I am just a dummy when it comes to these. I have the covered buttons. I read through the instructions above but I need pictures!!! I am SUCH a visual person I gotta see it before I can do it Anyone have a minute that they could take pictures of threading the elastic through? THANK YOU!!!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.