150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-30-2009, 03:42

Default Please help with monogramming!!!!

I have tried it all.....pretty much. I have a brother 350 and my ribbon looks absolutely awful! not nice and neat like what I have seen here. I had tried

1.- Changing tension on my machine
2.- Use more space in between stitches, so that the ribbon does not pucker.
3.- I am using a tear away stabilizer, and even doubled it up!!!!

I have monogrammed some bags for the kids and they are terrific! I am afraid the ribbon is not up to being monogrammed. Please advise!! :-)

Thank you
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 06-30-2009, 03:49

Default Re: Please help with monogramming!!!!

How wide is the ribbon? I notice puckering if I sew two ribbons together. I'd probably spray the back with adhesive, stick onto some tear away or solvy stabilizer, and then hoop it snugly. Unless the ribbon is pretty wide, I think you still might have some trouble with it.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:09

I use a sticky back tear away and a solvy topper on a fast frame. I'm able to sew on 7/8 as well as 1 1/2 without problem.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebuglaine View Post
I use a sticky back tear away and a solvy topper on a fast frame. I'm able to sew on 7/8 as well as 1 1/2 without problem.
What is a solvy topper and fast frame? I am sorry for my ignorance :-)

I have tried dewing mostly on 1.5. I ahve seen some NEAT work on monograms made on 5/8!!! I don't know what is wrong with me :-( I can't get them to be neat! I pull the ribbon into the frame along with the stabilizer as much as I can and I use that nice rayon thread for embroidery...you have no idea how much I have wasted already trying to get this right.....
Old 07-01-2009, 03:20

I found when I have to do something "thread heavy" on a lighter weight fabric that if I starch it really well then use stablizers etc. it is a life saver I am sure it would help w/ ribbon also. Hope this helps.
Ro
Old 07-01-2009, 03:28

Solvy topper is a water soluble topper used to keep the stitches from falling into the fabric (used a lot on towels), a fast frame is a flat frame (I have a Brother PR 600 not sure if these can be used with all machines) I also slow my machine down to the slowest speed.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:31

I am also curious on the solvy. I know what it is...but how does it help on ribbon. My ribbon also puckers a little and I knew I was doing something wrong too.

Solvy is that clear stuff - kind of like saran wrap that you put usually on top of thicker piles, like towels, plush blankets, etc - b/c the threading will get lost down into the pile of that fabric, and you want it to "sit" on top instead.

The fast frames - google those. you can buy all sorts of them, but you use sticky back or a spray on adhesive. It is great for when you dont' want to use a hoop or force a hoop onto something or if you have something that cannot be hooped.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:37

The solvy, IMO makes the stitches look fuller on the ribbon.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:40

My thoughts on the puckering...if you're using a regular hoop maybe the ribbon is to tight...I've only used the fast frames so I'm not sure...but when I stitch on ribbon the only thing holding it to the frame is the sticky back stabilizer.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:33

Make sure it is not your needle. I know when I go past the 60,000 stiches my machine starts to act up. I try and keep a tally going in my craft room, but there have been times when I lost track and totally forgot.... I also use adhesive spray like the ladies said. You probably already checked that though....just thought I would post just in case!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies