http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-30-2009, 12:16

Default Haaaalllllp!

Hello all -

Can anyone help me understand why my bows don't look fluffy when I finish tying them off?

Should I spray the ribbon with starch?

Or am I tying them off too tightly? On pew bows, etc., they need to be tied off very tightly in order to fluff them out...do hair bows? My centers look flat and it carries out towards the loops (doing the basic bow with 4 loops with 1 1/2" ribbon).

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2009, 12:20

Default Re: Haaaalllllp!

How does your crease look after you tie it off? Also sometimes you have to shape them a little, and I spray mine with hairspray to make them stiff; it isn't as heavy as starch.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutesandladders1980 View Post
How does your crease look after you tie it off? Also sometimes you have to shape them a little, and I spray mine with hairspray to make them stiff; it isn't as heavy as starch.
Hi, and thanks for your reply!

My crease isn't that bad. But I was doing a stacked bow with some spikes, and it all just looks jumbled up and flat? I'm using 20 gauge wire...

Is it possible to tie them off too tightly?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:54

Do you have pics?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:00

What I do is spray them stiff with hairspray individually and let them get good and dry. I take a needle and start with the bottom bow right up through the middle, then the spikes, loops, and top bow. After they are all on I then wrap my thread around the bow a few times and tie in the back. I personally am not a fan of wire, I use those big spools of crocheting thread.

Last edited by chutesandladders1980; 06-30-2009 at 02:14.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:10

I personally think that if you pull the ribbon apart a little bit that it would fluff more. The loopy's are overlapping each other too much. Pull them out to where if you lay it flat they are almost touching the surface they are laying on.

Facebook Group for Destash and Wholesaling your items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Craf...handWholesale/
Old 06-30-2009, 02:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyamys View Post
Do you have pics?
No, but I can probably do a few later on - if I'm not too embarrassed to show them (I've seen what the others' work looks like on here!)

Old 06-30-2009, 02:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgarrido View Post
I personally think that if you pull the ribbon apart a little bit that it would fluff more. The loopy's are overlapping each other too much. Pull them out to where if you lay it flat they are almost touching the surface they are laying on.
Okay, I'll try this route - I think I'll start over with fresh ribbon!

Thank you so much!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutesandladders1980 View Post
What I do is spray them stiff with hairspray individually and let them get good and dry. I take a needle and start with the bottom bow right up through the middle, then the spikes, loops, and top bow. After they are all on I then wrap my thread around the bow a few times and tie in the back. I personally am not a fan of wire, I use those big spools of crocheting thread.
The instructions I bought suggested wire, but I never was very thrilled with it because it seemed more difficult to keep from "poking" someone in the head.

I'll try some embroidery floss since I don't have crochet thread and see how that goes. I've also seen elastic thread suggested - I tried that but didn't do very well with it either. Probably my own fault there.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:49

Get you some upholstery thread from Wal-Mart or JoAnns. I double thread the needle, pull it through the french clip, and then through the two strands of thread, do this about three times. Lay your ribbons on the clip and take your thread across the loops, and through the loop in the thread again to make a secure knot. I do this on each loop at least two to three times. Spread all the loops out and begin pulling apart, I am able to spread the loops out pretty flat, as all the knots makes it very secure. Does any of this make sense, I'm terrible at explaining myself.

Facebook Group for Destash and Wholesaling your items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Craf...handWholesale/
Sponsored Links