New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-29-2009, 10:41

Default Diaper cake questions?

Okay so I searched and searched through the forums and could not find answers so, for those that make diaper cakes, I'm hoping you can help me out!! I'm hoping to make a 3 tier cake for a friend's baby shower but I need to know about how much ribbon would I need to wrap all three tiers just once around? What size ribbon works best? Also, I have watched tutorials on how to roll all the diapers separately, but how do you spiral them? Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:39

Default Re: Diaper cake questions?

to spiral lay the diapers half on top of each other on a flat surface, than start at one end and start rolling them together. hope you understand what i'm trying to say, than secure with an elastic band, if you can find a big enough one. if you find that you need to make it a little bigger just start adding more diapers within the diaper. to make it stable when doing a tier just add a thick inch stick into the middle of it,

Last edited by jazzygirl; 06-30-2009 at 12:09.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzygirl View Post
to spiral lay the diapers half on top of each other on a flat surface, than start at one end and start rolling them together. hope you understand what i'm trying to say, than secure with an elastic band, if you can find a big enough one.
I think I know what you mean. Will they look like dominoes that got knocked over on each other? What is a good number to make a decent size cake? Thanks for your help!!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:52

How big around are you planning on making your tiers? That will determine how much ribbon you'll need. I've made several cakes and the way I like the best is to use baby blanket "icing". Get some of those cardboard cake bases from the cake supply aisle (or cut a large cardboard circle and cover it with foil or paper). Get a bunch of rubber bands (I don't like tape) - esp. some of the bigger ones, or some strong elastic. If you have something you'd like to use for your center (a bottle, blanket, etc.) put that in the center. Then start wrapping the diapers around the center like a spiral. You'll have to hold the diaper around the center then rubber band it in place. Then starting midway around the first diaper, start layering/spiraling your next diaper. Move the rubber band to accomodate each added diaper. Once you've gotten the desired circumfrence, move on to the next layer. I will often use an empty paper towel tube in the center to add some stability to the stacked layers.

The icing: Depending on how many layers you have, buy a couple of receiving blankets and either a burp cloth or a onesie/bib. Wrap the layers with the blankets like you're wrapping a present. I usually fold the blanket into thirds length-wise and wrap it around the outer surface. You can then pin the blanket ends together to make a discreet seam on the back side or use glue dots. Do this for the second layer also. Use the bib/burp cloth/onesie for the top layer. Then wrap ribbon around to make it pretty. I usually use at least two types of ribbon: one solid 1 to 1 1/2" and then a pretty contrasting ribbon 7/8" - 1".

I've attached a photo of the last cake I made. Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (59.6 KB, 63 views)

www.PartTimeDiva.etsy.com
Old 06-30-2009, 12:08

I just made one for my sister's upcoming shower. It is hot pink/black w/ a touch of yellow gold for the shower theme... anyway... I just do the 'domino' thing and then bend them around themselves. I just guesstimate the right size. I dont know how many I used and it is covered so I cant count for you. I just use a small piece of ribbon or curly ribbon to hold them until I get a more secure ribbon or fabric around it. I did not have any bases either, I just stacked them. This one goes with the theme more than the 'baby' issue. I am going to add some pacifiers etc... the blanket/bib idea is super cute....

I searched the net for pics and just put several ideas together to make my own. I bought some fabric b/c I did not have blankets at the time and just folded it the width of the layer. I topped the layer off with the crinkle paper. Then added a few layers of ribbon. I bought the ribbon at Hobby Lobby 1/2 price and only used one boldt per color. I had enough for extra bows and ribbons around the cake.

I also picked up a cheap bouquet of the flowers. I colored the yellow middles b/c i like black better. I just used pins to attached everything, including the flowers. I made sure all the pins were on one side so when it was taken apart, they will know where to look.

i just played and played to get it right.... there is no wrong way to do it!!!
Let me know if you need anything else.... I had fun doing it!!!
Oh ya...I also bought two butterflies . That black crazy thing at the top came from my Christmas tree stuff (I have a black/silver one....) anyway... it was from HObby Lobby too. They have all colors....

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loris shower cake.jpg (46.4 KB, 61 views)

Lisa
www.knotyouraveragebow.net
Old 06-30-2009, 08:33

Wink Re: Diaper cake questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeDiva View Post
How big around are you planning on making your tiers? That will determine how much ribbon you'll need. I've made several cakes and the way I like the best is to use baby blanket "icing". Get some of those cardboard cake bases from the cake supply aisle (or cut a large cardboard circle and cover it with foil or paper). Get a bunch of rubber bands (I don't like tape) - esp. some of the bigger ones, or some strong elastic. If you have something you'd like to use for your center (a bottle, blanket, etc.) put that in the center. Then start wrapping the diapers around the center like a spiral. You'll have to hold the diaper around the center then rubber band it in place. Then starting midway around the first diaper, start layering/spiraling your next diaper. Move the rubber band to accomodate each added diaper. Once you've gotten the desired circumfrence, move on to the next layer. I will often use an empty paper towel tube in the center to add some stability to the stacked layers.

The icing: Depending on how many layers you have, buy a couple of receiving blankets and either a burp cloth or a onesie/bib. Wrap the layers with the blankets like you're wrapping a present. I usually fold the blanket into thirds length-wise and wrap it around the outer surface. You can then pin the blanket ends together to make a discreet seam on the back side or use glue dots. Do this for the second layer also. Use the bib/burp cloth/onesie for the top layer. Then wrap ribbon around to make it pretty. I usually use at least two types of ribbon: one solid 1 to 1 1/2" and then a pretty contrasting ribbon 7/8" - 1".

I've attached a photo of the last cake I made. Hope this helps!

This is exactly how I do mine!!

Amy
www.customcreationsbyamy.com
Sponsored Links