New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-28-2009, 11:47

Default Yet another korker question/comment

First, I jut want to say that I have joined most of you in using my woodburner to cut/seal my korker bits in one step - OMG this is such a timesaver! I was kind of leery about trying it - woodburner + me = disaster (usually).
Hooray! I am not as much of a clutz as I thought I would be

Now, for the question - I sew my korkers and use 32 pieces. Is there a trick or a tool or something that makes this process easier? Seriously, sometimes I think I'm going to break the needle trying to get it through all those layers. I have to use pliers to pull it through because I just can't keep my fingers on the needle. Or is this just the price you pay to have handsewn korkers?

I know some of you make hundreds of these every night - I bow down in worship to ya'll because after just a single pair my hands are calling it quits!

Help?

Jennifer
Another crafty stay at home mom~www.3aminspirations.com
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:18

Default Re: Yet another korker question/comment

I know what you mean but if you want sewn than it's the price we pay. I have used pliers to get it thru. LOL
Old 06-28-2009, 01:03

Ive read that using a leather? needle makes it alot easier. I just use a bigger sewing needle and I agree im always afraid im going to break it. But im def going to check out the leather needle!
Old 06-28-2009, 03:17

I use an upholstery needle. It's thicker and longer than a standard sewing needle. I also have a thimble to help me push the needle through on those tough ones.

I also saw a video somewhere where they put all of the korkers on the needle and pull it through to the knot and then one by one rethread them the other direction. Does that make sense? HTH

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Old 06-28-2009, 03:20

I just use a bigger needle than usual, and try to find ones that are extra sharp. The price of sewing the korkers, is very sore fingers, and sometimes sticking the wrong end of the needle through your finger. I use needle nose pliers, and also place a hard object on the floor then push my needled korkers down on that to get it all the way through. It's very hard for me to believe that someone can make hundreds of these in one evening. I've made these for years and feel that I'm pretty good at it, but hundreds is just too much for me to believe they actually sewed them by themselves.

Facebook Group for Destash and Wholesaling your items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Craf...handWholesale/
Old 06-28-2009, 03:44

Well, dangit, I really hoped I was missing out on a "big secret". If nothing else, I guess this means I'll have hands and fingers that can hold up to some pretty serious beatings!

Jennifer
Old 06-28-2009, 05:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aminspirations View Post
First, I jut want to say that I have joined most of you in using my woodburner to cut/seal my korker bits in one step - OMG this is such a timesaver! I was kind of leery about trying it - woodburner + me = disaster (usually).
Hooray! I am not as much of a clutz as I thought I would be

Now, for the question - I sew my korkers and use 32 pieces. Is there a trick or a tool or something that makes this process easier? Seriously, sometimes I think I'm going to break the needle trying to get it through all those layers. I have to use pliers to pull it through because I just can't keep my fingers on the needle. Or is this just the price you pay to have handsewn korkers?

I know some of you make hundreds of these every night - I bow down in worship to ya'll because after just a single pair my hands are calling it quits!

Help?
So how DO you cut & seal the korkers at the same time? About a year and a half ago I bought a bunch of korked ribbon from a seller on ebay & I've never done anything with them. The thought of going through and heat sealing each and every end just doesn't appeal to me--but if I could cut AND seal at the same time, I'd try it! Any tips? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:44

I wrap and bake about 60-70 at a time, after baking, I unwrap, cut enough for one bow, seal, and sew. I have to do one at a time, if I leave cut pieces laying out, it's hard to tell where they would end up. Start off with what you want to use for one bow, make it, finish, and put away. Pull some more korker ribbon, do the same, and pretty soon you have a bunch made up. I have several storage boxes full of korked ribbon, so it's there when I need it for a special order, that's why I try to wrap and bake something every few days.

Facebook Group for Destash and Wholesaling your items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Craf...handWholesale/
Old 06-28-2009, 06:38

Smile Re: Yet another korker question/comment

Try Tandy leather for leather needles they have a website I just cant think of it at the moment. But there are a lot of different needles out there that will get the job done. Upolstery needles work well too.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41

idahomommyof4 - the way that I do it is still probably not the most efficient, but it beats cutting and then sealing each one with a lighter. I take my 18" long korker string and measure where I need to cut (2.5" or 3") and keep my eye on that spot. then I gently spread apart the curl where I need to make the cut - using my thumb and forefinger. VERY CAREFULLY, I swipe the woodburner across the ribbon - between my fingers. cuts it and seals the end in one swipe! hope that makes sense...it's so much harder to describe that it is to do

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies