New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-28-2009, 03:12

Default Cheer Bows

So, today I attempted to make a cheer bow.
Epic, hardcore fail.
I can't figure out how to get the ribbon to not turn around in the process, so it gets jacked up.
How can I get it to look like this:

and

Except for the top ribbon needs to be attached to the bottom ribbon.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 06-28-2009, 10:19

Default Re: Cheer Bows

I don't make cheer bows, so I not going to be any help. Don't you need to fuse the top ribbon to the bottom ribbon with that heat 'n bond type stuff?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:42

You could try these instructions (just don't include the second set of loops).

Free Tails Down Hair Bow Instructions: hairbow free directions, hair bow business work at home

When I layer my ribbons I don't usually use any type of heat bond. I just make the bow and hold the ribbons very tight together. If the top ribbon seems to be pulling to one side or not lying flat I'll soemtimes use a tiny bit of E6000 glue to tack it down (I don't use hot glue because it's bulky). However, the heat bond idea would probably work great!!

Good Luck! HTH!

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Old 06-28-2009, 10:59

Heheh the bottom one is my bow
while it does take practice, I find measuing the ribbon out, know how long you want your tails, how big is the bow? 4" 5" So take into consideration your tail length plus the the width of the bow and find the center of your measured ribbon. I always sew, so needle in the middle and lay where the loops come in on top of the needle, pull the needle through and crease. Most of the cheer bows I make I use 28-30" of ribbon, I do not fuse the ribbon together unless I'm using fabric or sequins.

ETA: I don't use heat n bond on the whole bow to fuse everything together because of how stiff the bow becomes. If it's requested I do it but each bow has to be folded as soon as it's bonded while it's still pliable.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2009, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Heheh the bottom one is my bow
while it does take practice, I find measuing the ribbon out, know how long you want your tails, how big is the bow? 4" 5" So take into consideration your tail length plus the the width of the bow and find the center of your measured ribbon. I always sew, so needle in the middle and lay where the loops come in on top of the needle, pull the needle through and crease. Most of the cheer bows I make I use 28-30" of ribbon, I do not fuse the ribbon together unless I'm using fabric or sequins.

ETA: I don't use heat n bond on the whole bow to fuse everything together because of how stiff the bow becomes. If it's requested I do it but each bow has to be folded as soon as it's bonded while it's still pliable.

Good luck!
You don't mind me using the picture, do you? I found it on Google.
If you dont attach the two ribbons to eachother, then how do you manage to make the bow?
Old 06-28-2009, 03:33

No I don't mind, that's the cheer bow I did for the local jr. high squad last basketball season. It's from my photobucket.

To answer your question, lay the ribbons out flat and fold holding them together. It can be tricky. That's why I use a needle at the middle sticking up then fold one side onto the needle, then the other side. I also will use a toothpick and some fabric-tac at strategic points to keep the bow together at the loops but not until It's folded just in case it needs adjusting.

Attached is a recent 3 layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triple cheer bow_1_1.jpg (61.9 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-28-2009, 05:11

Oh I LOVE the three layer bow!! SO cute!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
No I don't mind, that's the cheer bow I did for the local jr. high squad last basketball season. It's from my photobucket.

To answer your question, lay the ribbons out flat and fold holding them together. It can be tricky. That's why I use a needle at the middle sticking up then fold one side onto the needle, then the other side. I also will use a toothpick and some fabric-tac at strategic points to keep the bow together at the loops but not until It's folded just in case it needs adjusting.

Attached is a recent 3 layer.
So you don't auctally fold it into a bow?
Do you just press the ribbon onto the needle, sew it, then wrap some ribbon around the middle?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:21

I am assuming you mean "jacked up" is the crease in the center where the ribbons cross one another? How the outside ribbon seems to just curve over and run down from the crease?

If so, try making where the ribbon crosses over not quite as wide at the bottom. When I make a bow like that, it looks something like an awareness ribbon. The ends of the ribbon that will form the tails of the bow have about 4" or 5" between the ribbons at the bottom. That should help give your crease that "jacked up" look.

If you're still not successful, I would highly recommend going to nobownogo.com and purchasing Devon's directions. They are wonderful and only $5.00! Well worth it!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC_Cheer View Post
So you don't auctally fold it into a bow?
Do you just press the ribbon onto the needle, sew it, then wrap some ribbon around the middle?
Free Tails Down Hair Bow Instructions: hairbow free directions, hair bow business work at home

3rd pic is what you're looking for. At that point crease. I also sew the pony on at this point. The attach the center either flat or center. The crease is what makes or breaks the bow, that's pretty much most bows though. I also measure too so my loops are exact, I can make 25 bows and they will all be the same so measuring as you go along is important so you can recreate the bow.
Sponsored Links