Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-23-2009, 07:26

Default Wood Burner

After reading so many posts, and instructions, I decided to get a wood burner to seal ribbons. Up until now I've been using long candle lighters..... I'm not sure how I feel about the wood burner yet. I expected it would be easy, and would create a much neater seal. Do you actually gently touch the tool to the ribbon (mine gunked up at the slightest touch)? Is there a specific tip that works best? I was hoping it would be nice for sealing rounded edges, as well as ribbon lining clips.... I dont want it to discolor or goop though... Any tips?

Thanks Everyone!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 06-23-2009, 08:46

Default Re: Wood Burner

I wish I could help, but I have the same problems with mine. I've gone back to using lighters and a very sore thumb.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:54

Oh boy, I just bought one, have not taken it out of the package yet, though. I was using the candle lighter too. I would like to see what everybody has to say on this too. Mine cost like 12.00 @ Wally World, and the lighters are like 1.00, so I want it to work!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:25

OK, here is my info, for what it is worth.

I started with a low heat wood burning tool and had the same thing happen. I cleaned my "bit" with an acrylic nail-nail file. Did that make sense? I had to clean it so much it became rounded and didn't cut as well.

I moved on to a higher temp tool and WHOA NELLY! GOOD TIMES! The tool runs so hot that any ribbon that gets on it burns right off.

I bought it at Hobby Lobby with a coupon and think I spent about $12.00 and it came with a bunch of different "bits." I use the one that looks like the top of a screwdriver. Boy, I am not good as describing, eh?

When you cut, make sure you are cutting on a metal service. I use an old baking pan. I put my metal ruler right on the ribbon and swipe away, other times, if the ribbon is already cut I will just run it along the shaft of the tool, that is mega hot too!

I hope that made sense! This post proves why I don't write tutorials! HA!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:21

Ditto to the post above about needing it to be really hot!! If it's hot enough it will just glide through your ribbon like butter. It may gunk up a bit after awhil, but I just use fine grain sandpaper (similar to the nail file idea) to clean it. And yes, use the angled tip for cutting straight lines...works good for cutting your v's on spikes too! And for sealing ends I do the same thing...use the hot shaft to lightly touch the ends of the ribbon.

One other fun thing I figured out was to swich to the rounded tip to make antennas for ribbon sculptures. Just lightly touch your ribbon edge and it will curl around the rounded bit.

For a cutting surface I do something different though. I got a piece of glass at Home Depot (I think it's 10x13). It came with a cardboard "frame" around it for packing and safety but most of the glass is visible. I just slid a piece of 1/4" size graph paper between the cardboard and the glass to use as a measuring tool. Then I marked on the edge of the glass with permanent marker 1" increments so I wouldn't have to count squares. This works AWESOME because I don't have to fuss with a ruler too! And the glass is a perfect cutting surface.

HTH!! And trust me, you are going to LOVE using the woodburner!

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Old 06-23-2009, 11:50

I LOVE my woodburning tool. I let mine heat up for about 5-10min. then I just run the ribbon across the side and it seals perfect. The only time I use the tips is to cut "v" cuts and the tips of the ribbon after adding the centers to the bows, which I use the flat slanted one. I also use a glass from a picture frame I had and it works great. After doing alot of ribbon the tool will become black but if you leave it on and let it sit a few, the residue burns off and it will look just white and its clean again. HTH
Old 06-23-2009, 11:58

I bought a cheap photo frame form the dollar store and took the glass out and this is what I cut on. I hav a metal ruler that I place on my ribbon and I run the wood burner along that to ensure I get a good cut. I will never go back to lighters, although I do use them for my v cuts. When i cut with the woodburner the two pieves that i ahve folded over stick together. ANyone have any tips on cutting v cuts witha woodburner????
Old 06-23-2009, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrisMommy View Post
I bought a cheap photo frame form the dollar store and took the glass out and this is what I cut on. I hav a metal ruler that I place on my ribbon and I run the wood burner along that to ensure I get a good cut. I will never go back to lighters, although I do use them for my v cuts. When i cut with the woodburner the two pieves that i ahve folded over stick together. ANyone have any tips on cutting v cuts witha woodburner????
I actually cut them with scissors then seal them them because they stick also.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48

I use the Textile Tool made by Walnut Hollow. It burns at a lower temp than the wood tool but seals and cuts at the same time. For a dove tail cut, use a metal ruler as a guide. Always work on a glass mat as it does not catch fire or get hot.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:05

Thank you, thank you, thank you...You all are awesome!!!
Sponsored Links