http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-20-2009, 02:36

Default How do you make korkers like this?

Hi all,

I came across these beautiful korkers (http://www.mainstreetbowtique.com/catalog.htm?item=26) and was wondering how they did it. They are so full and pom-pomish. I love them. Mine are flat and the korks keep getting messed up.

Could it be more korks? If so how many korks per korker should I use?

Is it shorter korks?

Do you think they spray a stiffener on them? Before or after baking?

So many variables. I don't know what to do, but mine are ugly. I think it may be how I'm putting them together. I stack them and then put a thread through the stack. I don't like it.

Last question - do you put any sort of a knot in the middle like you would with a bow? How do you attach them to a clip?

If you can answer just one of these questions I'd be forever grateful. Thanks!

Andrea
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 06-20-2009, 03:09

Default Re: How do you make korkers like this?

I think they are using larger ribbon in that picture. That looks like a huge korker. But it does look like a lot of stiffener. Probably before baking and again after making it.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:22

I think for one, they are using a lot of korks. At the minimum I use 30, otherwise they can be flat. Also it looks like they have theirs trimmed into a really round ball, does that make sense? I bet they do use stiffener. Take my word for it, don't spray with stiffener before you bake, at least if you do, do it very lightly!! I had major disasters before!! LOL!! I don't use any kind of knot in the center. I'm by no means an expert, but this is how I do mine. I wrap the dowels with the ribbon and try not to leave any gaps when I wrap. I've found if I spray it with water before I bake they stay better too. Then I bake at 275 for 25 minutes. Then when I take them out I let them cool before I unwrap. Then be careful to unwrap, don't stretch them out too much. I try to loosen it on the dowel before hand. Then I measure before I cut everytime. Usually 2.5-3 inches depending on how big I need them. Then I sew them. I stack them on my needle and as it gets too full I push them down. I always use at least 30 or more. I run the thread thru several times and then tie off. I trim all ends to make it a full circle or ball, and then heat seal. Some ladies here use the woodburning tool, I've never tried it, but I'm going to soon, I'm sick of heat sealing!! Then I spray with Stiffy and hang upside down. That helps alot. Got that tip off here!! I hope this helps!! Trimming is very important, I think. It really makes the korker look much fuller.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:36

I use the dowels from Michaels (or Joann's). I use 4 per korker--I really don't know how many pieces that ends up being, but I always end up with a great size sticking with the 4 dowel rule. I bake mine at 300 for 25 min and then turn off the oven and let them sit in there until cool. My korkers are then very tight. I cut mine 2 inches and it makes for a great size--if you want it bigger you will just have to make more dowels. I use the woodburning tool to cut and seal all at once(this is new to me, but I LOVE it!!). I also put mine on a needle then pull through and wrap around. It is the best way I have found to layer neatly and keep them from coming apart. When I am finished I spray them with starch and let dry. HTH!! Good luck!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:55

Here's a link to a video tut that might help.
YouTube - Hair-Hardware.com Korker Bow Instructions
I also attached a pic of one of my korkers to give you an idea of how mine turn out.

I do mine like the others have said, wrap the ribbon on dowels and bake at 275 deg for 20 minutes. For each of my korkers I use about 30-35 pieces of ribbon. I usually cut them at 2" or 2.5". The one you are asking about looks like they are cut much longer, maybe even 3.5" or 4" and it looks like because of the length they probably used 40+ pieces.

I sew mine (just like video). One trick I learned was to knot your thread 3" from the end instead of the end of the thread. This will give you a piece to use to tie off and knot when you are finished. I give mine two coats of Stay-flo starch after the korker is completed but before I add the clip. I like mine to be more stiff and uniform, others like them to be more random and less stiff...it's all just personal preference.

To answer your question about adding the ali clip. When your korker is finished there will be an obvious bottom side. On mine the first piece on the bottom is usually lying flat across the bottom...this would seem the natural place to glue the clip to. But, I glue mine perpendicular to that piece because I feel like it feel more solid becasue the glue will adhear to 3/4 korker pieces this way instead of just the bottom piece...I hope that makes sense.

Sorry for the long response. I hope some of these tips help. Everyone has a trick or two that works for them and I'm sure you'll get some great ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leopard print.jpg (57.1 KB, 125 views)

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Old 06-20-2009, 10:07

Wow, lots of great tips here that I had never heard before! I will definitely have to give some of these a try when I venture off into korker territory!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20

She states the large bow is 3.5" wide, so her korker pieces are 3" long. She is using a larger dowel than the commonly used 1/4" so the center is more open instead of tight. As far as the fullness I use 35-40 korkers for a nice full pompom style korker, hers might be less due to the larger korker. Definitely starched to give it a very perky look.
Very cute bows!!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:41

Here is something I do that hasn't been mentioned yet. Before I start threading my korked ribbon, I put about a 2" piece of regular ribbon on my needled and thread it through. Then I thread my korked ribbon, when I'm done, I use that 2" piece of ribbon to glue and wrap around my alligator clip.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:38

^^^ITA I think she is using a larger dowel also
Old 06-20-2009, 04:34

Fragglerock that's a great idea!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg