New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-08-2008, 10:35

Default new here..question on making korker

I was wondering how do you get it to stay stiff and not so floppy, and also what do you use to cut the korker ribbon after you bake it? Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2008, 10:49

Before I bake them I use spray starch and then pop them into the 275 degree oven for 20-25 mins and leave the ribbon on the dowels until cool. Be cautious spraying the starch onto the floor though, I do it over an old towel. The floor gets slippery!

As for cutting, I have a rotary cutter but I really want a wood burning tool to try it out since it seals as it cuts. I use a lighter to seal the ends, like you use to light candles, BBQ,etc.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Before I bake them I use spray starch and then pop them into the 275 degree oven for 20-25 mins and leave the ribbon on the dowels until cool. Be cautious spraying the starch onto the floor though, I do it over an old towel. The floor gets slippery!

As for cutting, I have a rotary cutter but I really want a wood burning tool to try it out since it seals as it cuts. I use a lighter to seal the ends, like you use to light candles, BBQ,etc.
This is how do mine and they always turn out nice and stiff. It also depends on the kind of ribbon you use though. i started with the ribbon from Hobby Lobby and it was so floppy. I use Schiff and Offray ribbon and the dot ribbon from Michelle's store. Most of my ribbon I buy from RABOM and The Ribbon Retreat.

I use a wood burner to cut my ribbon and it works wonders. I love it and wouldn't be able to make my ends look that great if I used a lighter or match. It comes out perfect every time.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibug View Post

I use a wood burner to cut my ribbon and it works wonders. I love it and wouldn't be able to make my ends look that great if I used a lighter or match. It comes out perfect every time.
I was thinking about buying a wood burner to heat seal my ends, but it works for cutting the korker too, i guess since I have never used one I would be scared I wouldn't do it right
Old 01-08-2008, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla25 View Post
I was thinking about buying a wood burner to heat seal my ends, but it works for cutting the korker too, i guess since I have never used one I would be scared I wouldn't do it right
I stretch it out between my fingers on a baking sheet and cut. Don't get it too close to your fingers! They get so hot. So I just measure with a ruler, then use the tool to cut and seal.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibug View Post
I stretch it out between my fingers on a baking sheet and cut. Don't get it too close to your fingers! They get so hot. So I just measure with a ruler, then use the tool to cut and seal.

which end do use on your woodburner? the "universal end" or the knife?

ISO: manners
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56

I use the universal wood burner end for EVERYTHING, including korkers. That's just because I'm too busy to ever stop and change out the tip to see if I like any of the others, lol. Eh, if it's not baroque,' don't fix it, right? (sorry, the kids have Beauty and the Beast in right now..)
Old 01-08-2008, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
I use the universal wood burner end for EVERYTHING, including korkers. That's just because I'm too busy to ever stop and change out the tip to see if I like any of the others, lol. Eh, if it's not baroque,' don't fix it, right? (sorry, the kids have Beauty and the Beast in right now..)
Great! I have tried the knife, but didn't get good results - I'm going to try this today...that is if I can get off this board, lol!

ISO: manners
Old 01-08-2008, 12:09

I do mine exactly as mentions with spray starch but 250 for 30 min works best in my oven! I haven't made korkers since getting my wood burner but am quite excited about tring it!
Sponsored Links