New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-24-2009, 06:36

Default secret society of polymer clay artists

I've probably spent about 12 hours or more searching online how to make polymer clay centers and what types of cutters or molds to use. I've decided it's a huge secret society that only allow a select few in on the secrets! I wanted to make some cute novelty type centers such as mermaids and princesses for my daughter because it gets way too expensive to keep buying them. Well it's impossible to find the info I'm looking for. No one wants to give out any secrets on what types of molds or cutters to use. I can't afford $16 for a hair cookie from the Glamsquad, even tho I would love to. But, since my hubby isn't working and I'm working fulltime to support my 4 kids, I can't.

Are there any ebooks out there that show how to make m2mg or the types of cute centers found on etsy or Ebay?

Any help would be great. I've already searched on here and checked all the posts and still didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:49

Default Re: secret society of polymer clay artists

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavettahulse View Post
I've probably spent about 12 hours or more searching online how to make polymer clay centers and what types of cutters or molds to use. I've decided it's a huge secret society that only allow a select few in on the secrets! I wanted to make some cute novelty type centers such as mermaids and princesses for my daughter because it gets way too expensive to keep buying them. Well it's impossible to find the info I'm looking for. No one wants to give out any secrets on what types of molds or cutters to use. I can't afford $16 for a hair cookie from the Glamsquad, even tho I would love to. But, since my hubby isn't working and I'm working fulltime to support my 4 kids, I can't.

Are there any ebooks out there that show how to make m2mg or the types of cute centers found on etsy or Ebay?

Any help would be great. I've already searched on here and checked all the posts and still didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Hey, there are several guide books to polymer clay things. I have found many on ebay. Youtube is also a great place to find people who have posted video recording; hope that helps you some.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:46

Thanks. I checked you tube and found a couple of things. I've seen some books, but I just can't seem to find what I want. Thanks tho!!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:11

Are you trying to make a hair cookie? It looks like they used cookie cutters to cut them out and the designs on top remind me of Becky Meverden type designs.
Publications These are her books and she has a blog so maybe that will give you some insight.
I learned a lot from the carol duvall show. She had a lot of different polymer clay artist on the show. You can search the HGTV website and there a lot of instructions on there. The Carol Duvall Show : Home & Garden Television

Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:18

You can also search on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble and I'm sure like Borders.com for books. Read up on the reviews & descriptions of the books. Write down the title of the book & author. Call your local library and ask them if they take book requests to stock at the library. Our local library does this. When I first started making jewelry, there were a lot of books that I would've loved to buy, but I was wary that they wouldn't be quite what i needed or wanted. Plus I didn't have the money to just go buy whatever I wanted. My library took down the names & authors & got books in and called me after they got in--about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks after I called. Then I got the chance to check out the books, and was able to get good info out of them & decide if I REALLY liked those books enough to buy them, or just use what tidbits that I could out of them. This way I was able to check out the books without having to put out the money!! I would highly recommend doing this. I live in a pretty small town, so I'd imagine most libraries are willing to accomodate their patrons!! Worst thing they can do is say no. HTH
Old 05-24-2009, 09:30

Thank you girls. Theres so much info out there, but it seems to be more for the artsy types of things, or the jewelry beads that aren't the whimsical type. I don't know if people just figure out the very basics and then just make their own creations. But my goodness, it's hard to find the whimsical type stuff out there.

Yes, I love the hair cookies. I've noticed most of the sellers on etsy and ebay will use some of the same cutters for flowers and leaves. When it comes to mermaids and such, maybe they just make the bodies free hand or something. I absolutely love Bearysweetbeads on etsy.Craft Supplies on Etsy - Butterfly Fairy Blue Eyes by Bearysweetbeads
Old 05-24-2009, 10:33

well for one thing they dont use molds make them they sculpt them... if you want to make your own just buy some clay tools and start pinching and poking with tools... there is no short cut! thats why you pay what you pay for the GOOD polyclay pieces... there is serious skill involved

it is the same technique as creating with regular clay... so if you can find some books on clay modeling you should be good to go
Old 05-25-2009, 12:53

I figured there had to be some skill to it!! I've bought some clay and just tried practicing by looking at other clay pieces on Ebay. It's harder than you think it is.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:33

ohhh hell yea it is... I have worked with actual clay in the past... it can be a PITA poly is no different other than you dont have to worry about it drying out as fast.

good luck... be ready to waste till you get to where you are happy with what you are doing
Old 05-25-2009, 04:37

Well hopefully with enough practice I can put some centers on my bows that I would be proud of!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg