New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-19-2009, 05:26

Default My bows fell off my flip flops

Had my first upset customer today. I sold this lady a pair of my bow flip flops last week. Her DD is in my DD's dance class. Today she handed them back to me because the bow fell apart and the buckle fell off one

I used grosgrain ribbon, and secured it with E6000.

Why would it fall off

Here is a picture of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 450.jpg (114.0 KB, 176 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 05:35

Default Re: My bows fell off my flip flops

I wrap the center ribbon around the straps of the flip flops and then wrap ribbon from the end of the straps all the way around to the other end of the straps. I've never had a bow fall off. I wear a pair myself and they haven't even come loose.

www.thequirkylittleboutique.com
Old 05-19-2009, 05:43

I do that with the flip flops that I wrap the whole straps. But some I didn't wrap the straps so I just tried to glue the ribbon right on the rubber. Guess that doesn't work

Judy , do you have a picture?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:22

I have thought about wrapping the ribbon around like that but I have always hot glued mine. I put 2 strips of ribbon (around 1 inch in length) just enough to go around the straps right where the bow goes and then I put the hot glue on there and attach the bow. I have never had any fall off so far. My 4 year old has the very first pair I had made (around 8 mths ago, considering she didn't wear them for about 3 1/2 mths in there) and she has worn them constantly for the past few months and they aren't even coming loose. I think the hot gluing the ribbon on top of the other ribbon helps keep it secured....does any of that make sense?? HTH
Old 05-19-2009, 06:27

I don't have pictures.

Ok my center piece I leave long. I hot glue my bow directly on the top of the flip flop without the center on it. Then I glue my center piece on the top of the bow in the center and wrap the extra around each side. Example. the top long piece of the center I will wrap around the right side of the strap then the bottom piece onto the left so it somewhat anchors it evenly. Then what that is all dry (glue), I take 3/8" ribbon and start at the back of one of the straps and literally just wrap the ribbon all the way around the strap to completely cover it. I put a dab of hot glue every so often to hold ribbon down. I continue wrapping around. When I reach the center, I just do the best I can to keep the wrapping tight. I will glue along the top while wrapping. continue all the way across to the other end, gluing as you go.

Does any of that make sense? the wrapping covers the pieces of the center piece and gives it some extra strength! My bows don't budge.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:51

Forgive me Judy, it usually takes me a little longer than others to figure things out. You attach the bow to the flip flops first then wrap the straps with ribbon? I've always attached the bow last but your way sounds like it would hold the bow on much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy74 View Post
I don't have pictures.

Ok my center piece I leave long. I hot glue my bow directly on the top of the flip flop without the center on it. Then I glue my center piece on the top of the bow in the center and wrap the extra around each side. Example. the top long piece of the center I will wrap around the right side of the strap then the bottom piece onto the left so it somewhat anchors it evenly. Then what that is all dry (glue), I take 3/8" ribbon and start at the back of one of the straps and literally just wrap the ribbon all the way around the strap to completely cover it. I put a dab of hot glue every so often to hold ribbon down. I continue wrapping around. When I reach the center, I just do the best I can to keep the wrapping tight. I will glue along the top while wrapping. continue all the way across to the other end, gluing as you go.

Does any of that make sense? the wrapping covers the pieces of the center piece and gives it some extra strength! My bows don't budge.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17

I make mine with the braided headband technique so first I braid then I glue the braid with E600 when it is dry I go thru the braid in the center where the rubber V is with florist wire and secure the bow without the center so I secure the wire as hard as I can and then put a dab of E600 and glue the center of the bow and glue the end underneath the rubber center. hope that make sense .
I have to finish a pair this afternoon so I will take pictures to post later in the evening. Anyway I made them for mother`s day and no problem till now but it is a short time and anyhow I still feel unsecure of them falling apart.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresabuck View Post
Forgive me Judy, it usually takes me a little longer than others to figure things out. You attach the bow to the flip flops first then wrap the straps with ribbon? I've always attached the bow last but your way sounds like it would hold the bow on much better.

Yes I do attach it first just right in the center of the bow and wrap the longer pieces of the center around the straps, then wrap the whole strap overtop of the longer pieces of the centers.

Sponsored Links