printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-09-2009, 09:59

Default Baking surrounding loops

I've been trying different methods of baking my loops to keep them perky and so far nothing has worked all that well....until this morning! I tried these stainless condiment cups/bowls and flipped them over and layed the loops upside down on the cup. It worked GREAT!! I baked them this way and then lightly starched them and dried them on the cup.

Just thought I'd share my little trick.

Oh, the cups are from Crate and Barrel. I used the small size...$0.95/ea.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=746&f=7901
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loops.jpg (209.8 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg loops2.jpg (178.5 KB, 203 views)

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 05-09-2009, 10:07

Default Re: Baking surrounding loops

So, you spray and bake AFTER you've made them instead of before. Do you do this on all your bows or do you ever just bake the ribbon before you've made anything. I am a total novice so i'm super curious.

Your surrounding loops look great!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:22

good idea! i've used foil or parchment paper. foil is easier because you can shape it better.

www.thequirkylittleboutique.com
Old 05-09-2009, 10:57

that's a good idea, what i've been doing is usually once i finish making a bow before i add any buttons or bottle caps--anything resin, i spay w/ starch using stay-flo mixed w/ water and bake at 200 degrees for 20min. and it's kept its shaped and also somewhat of a stain repellant

ETSY
www.bunnylanedesigns.etsy.com
Old 05-09-2009, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespotteddot View Post
So, you spray and bake AFTER you've made them instead of before. Do you do this on all your bows or do you ever just bake the ribbon before you've made anything. I am a total novice so i'm super curious.

Your surrounding loops look great!
Thanks!

I bake all of my bows in individual pieces before I assemble them. 275 degrees for 20 minutes. Then I spray them with Stay-flo/water mix and put them back in the oven for about 10 minutes (Tip: turn the oven off just put them back in and they will dry while the oven is cooling...this way they will not ever burn or turn brown because the oven is not hot enough.) I sometimes give my bows one additional light coat of starch after it's all assembled and let them air dry or put them in the sun to dry. This just gives them a final hold before I sell or ship them.

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Old 05-09-2009, 01:51

Thanks for the tips!! sta flo....gotta get some of that. I've just been using regular starch.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:43

Great tip - thanks!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:49

thanks for the tip. i must use it next time!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:16

I do something very,very similar. I use stay-flo 50/50 with water & put my loopy layer in a teeny glass bowl (face up). I get the bowls from the dollar tree. They're clear glass and hold probably half a cup. They're 3/$1. LOVE them!!!! I spray & bake @ 275 for 20 min. I bake all my layers at the same time.

Does anyone do a final starch after assembly?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
I do something very,very similar. I use stay-flo 50/50 with water & put my loopy layer in a teeny glass bowl (face up). I get the bowls from the dollar tree. They're clear glass and hold probably half a cup. They're 3/$1. LOVE them!!!! I spray & bake @ 275 for 20 min. I bake all my layers at the same time.

Does anyone do a final starch after assembly?
I'll sometimes do one finaly starch after assembly if some pieces ended up a bit floppy. But usually two light coats of starch before assembly is good enough for me.

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies