Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-09-2009, 12:46

Default Re: Gator Bite help!! My 1st tie keeps coming apart!!!

Ok I looked at Walmart while I was there to see what it was that I use. It's the bedspread weight cotton crochet yarn. It's 2 or 3 dollars for a large spool that will last me through hundreds of bows

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 05-09-2009, 09:50

I found for that first knot Dental Floss (waxed) works best. Its not hard on my hands, it's inexpensive, and because of the wax the threads slide tight real easily, and stay put. I tie my first knot, then loop back around for a second, then slip it out of the gator bite, run a few stitches through with upholestry thread just so I know it's super secure. When I've been in a huge hurry making things for my girls, I sometimes skip the sewing, and you can't tell the difference. HTH
Old 05-09-2009, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Everyone View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips.

I love the gator bite because it helps me tie the bows easy. My question though is taht the initial tie that I make is PERFECT and I can see that the bow looks great, BUT as I'm trying to tie it the second time to tighten it, the FIRST tie looses up. Then my bow loses its shape!! AHHH.

WHat type of string do you use to tighten the bows?? Which string is tight enough that when you tie tie it the first time, it doesnt come apart.

Hope I'm making sense here. Thanks for the help.
I use yarn and it works great..and its cheap...i love my gator bite i have 4 of them...lol as my back up just in case...lol
Old 05-10-2009, 12:30

Here's how I do it...
Instead of tying it off the first time I just do a criss-cross and then feed the thread back up on each side and do a knot there and then wrap it back through and tie another knot over the criss-cross. The first criss-cross will pull tight after you've tied your first knot. This way it never slips and you don't kill your fingers trying to hold your first knot. HTH

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Old 05-10-2009, 05:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker719 View Post
This is what I use too! And that's how I do mine too and it seems to work well!
Me too. Wrapping the thread (I use that crochet thread next to the yarn too) twice does the trick...holds really tight when I make my first knot. Though, I use a salon clip from Sally's, not the gator bite, and I get really nice creases (for a lot less money!)
Old 05-11-2009, 10:41

I also use the crochet (or bedspread weight) thread. As mentioned in previous post, I make one tie and then take the ends of my string and thread them back through to the other side of the GB and THEN double knot. I had the same problems in the beginning with my first tie coming loose, but flipping the bow over (while still on the GB) and tying a double on the back side works beautifully.
Sponsored Links