key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-04-2009, 02:55

Default Help! Calling all scrabble tile and bottlecap makers

I have started doing these darn scrabble tile pendants and what a headache it is giving me! lol I am using the envirotex lite, but am not real happy with it. It is a pain to mix up and then you can only do a few before the stuff starts to go bad. I don't know how many tiles I have ruined already trying to figure this out. I was maybe able to do about 20 tiles without problems. The ones after that started to turn cloudy. No, way of knowing the stuff is bad until your work sits for a while. Urgh....Is there something better to use. What about the 3 diamond glaze? I think that is what it is called. Also will these type of bails work? They're a lot more reasonable than those aanraku bails. TIA
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PCS-SILVER-PLATED-MED-8mm-FLAT-BACK-Y-GLUE-BAILS_W0QQitemZ400046178812QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item5d249c41fc&_trksid=p3286.c 0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|30 1%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50
Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2009, 03:49

Default Re: Help! Calling all scrabble tile and bottlecap makers

Are you mixing the et lite in really small batches or could your measurements be off little? WHen I do mine I usually have a good half hour before it starts to get too thick & I need to stop. If your measurements are off a bit or if the batch is too small the chemicals won't react correctly & it sets up too fast or not completely.
Beth
Old 05-04-2009, 03:56

I only mix one cap full at a time... yes ONE CAP the cap/lid of the bottle of each mixture... I fill it to the brim and mix... next to no waste this way... I have never had them go cloudy... and I have done over 4 gross with one box of the small ET-lite.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:08

Well, I've mixed two batches so far. The first time I mixed 1 1/2 tablespoons of each bottle. I mixed for the required 2 minutes exactly, set the timer. I made 6 tiles and realized I had more mix than tiles ready to coat. I was wanting to test it out before I ruined a bunch of tiles. So, I tried to get some more tiles done real fast and covered. That was a mistake, because the envirotex set too long and those all turned out terrible.

So, today I had 100 tiles ready and raring to go. I figured I couldn't coat them all at once, as it would probably go bad. So, I was shooting for doing maybe half of them. I mixed 3 tablespoons of each bottle for the required 2 minutes, again with the timer. I figure that about 20 of them turned out nice and clear. The others were kind of blotchy and cloudy looking (the ones I did toward the end).

How many of them can you do at a time? Do you think 20 is about the maximum?

Also, do you think the bails that I listed will work for the scrabble pendants?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:12

You have to mix equal amounts so it won't get cloudy. Some people have tried both the glaze and ET lite and they said they prefer the ET lite because it looks better and it won't get yellow over time.

I had some of those bails that are in the link. I wouldn't recommend for you to use those type because the necklace can come off. HTH.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:25

Maybe practice makes perfect. Why is it that something that seems so simple, rarely is????lol

Well, shoot on the bails! Could I use the ones I posted and close the gap with some pliers? I was going to order some of those ribbon necklaces through Donna's group buy. I haven't bought my bails yet, but am worried about the necklaces fitting through the bail holes. I have a pendant that I bought off of ebay and the bail hole is too small for those necklaces to fit through. Or do I need to order this type in the large size? This is what is on my pendant that I bought, but it must be the small size bail.
http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Large-Silver-Plated-AANRAKU-Bails-Pendant-Jewelry_W0QQitemZ260401163208QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca11e6bc8&_trksid=p3286 .c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318| 301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlalex View Post
You have to mix equal amounts so it won't get cloudy. Some people have tried both the glaze and ET lite and they said they prefer the ET lite because it looks better and it won't get yellow over time.

I had some of those bails that are in the link. I wouldn't recommend for you to use those type because the necklace can come off. HTH.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:45

Closing the gap with pliers might work. But most people do use the aanraku bails (small or medium size). I use these type of bails: STERLING SILVER Jewelry Tube Bail Finding 6X19 mm Neckl - eBay (item 260353900263 end time May-28-09 13:51:01 PDT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
Maybe practice makes perfect. Why is it that something that seems so simple, rarely is????lol

Well, shoot on the bails! Could I use the ones I posted and close the gap with some pliers? I was going to order some of those ribbon necklaces through Donna's group buy. I haven't bought my bails yet, but am worried about the necklaces fitting through the bail holes. I have a pendant that I bought off of ebay and the bail hole is too small for those necklaces to fit through. Or do I need to order this type in the large size? This is what is on my pendant that I bought, but it must be the small size bail.
http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Large-Silver-Plated-AANRAKU-Bails-Pendant-Jewelry_W0QQitemZ260401163208QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca11e6bc8&_trksid=p3286 .c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318| 301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Old 05-04-2009, 08:07

I mix up only 2t. at a time of the ET. I can get about 20-24 caps done, maybe more, from the amount I have before it gets too thick. I have to say - I, too, ruined a ton of caps on my last day making them. I really had to blame it on a bad batch of ET - I returned it to Micheal's for a return. They exchanged no problem. There was a cloudy film on each and every one of my cpas, not bubbles mind you, but almost like a soapy film that would gather near the middle of the image and cloud over. I tossed a TON of caps!!! I love the look of ET, but I think it is true, that practice must make perfect, because I have been learning much as I go along!!!! UGH!
Sponsored Links