key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-27-2009, 11:47
Default What kind of paint and brushes to use for bow holders?

I have been wanting to make bow holders for a while now. Now I really want to make some because I have a store interested in buying some from me.

I am trying to figure out the best methods and materials for making them. I have purchased the white letters from HL. I tried to paint some of them with spray paint and tried one with regular craft paint. I really did not like either one of those. I don't have much experience with painting and when i used the craft paint it came out streaky. I was using a PURDY brand paint brush.

SOOOO....what is the best paint to use and what is the best thing to use to apply the paint?

Also any other random tips would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 01:18
Default Re: What kind of paint and brushes to use for bow holders?

well, I've never painted white letters, I've always painted unfinished wood. So I use acrilic (ok, i know it's spelled wrong, but its late, sorry) paint and some good art brushes (I've had those so long I don't even know the brand!) When it's dry I usually add a clear top coat... either spray or brush on, whatever I have on hand. (I don't sell anything... I've just done alot of painting over the years)

So one suggestion I would have other then starting with unfinished wood is to lightly sand the letters before you paint... there could be a top coat of some sort on it (probably is) which keeping the paint from coating properly... just make sure you wipe it down after sanding with a damp cloth to get all the little saw dust off.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16

When I paint stuff that I know kids will be using I use paint that is non-toxic. I think it is the same in the States but in Canada we have paint that is AP approved. This means it is safe, non-toxic, no lead, etc. Some paints say non-toxic but don't have this stamp and I personally would avoid them. Even if just using water colours, use AP approved ones.

I also find cheap brushes a lot of times make things look streaky. You don't have to spend a lot of money on them but go for one that people normally would use for tole painting. A lot of times they are a bit better quality.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:30

i have painted the white hobby lobby letters before. i hated the acrylic cuz i showed to brush strokes. I have always used the spray paint and had really good results. i usually do at least two coats to get a good even coat. dont know if that helps any
Sponsored Links