http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-02-2008, 06:48

Default A couple questions

I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I am very new to making bows. I have two korkers under my belt with several more spools waiting to become bows.

What is the best thing to used to tie the korker bows? I have used thread, and I have tried a thin line of ribbon (1/8th) I think. I have seen elastic listed a few times but forgot to pick some thin elastic up.

If I use elastic to tie, will the bow look fuller? My second attempt seems sparse on top but thick towards the bottom.

Will using a stiffening spray help them stand up better?

TIA!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabrandy View Post
I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I am very new to making bows. I have two korkers under my belt with several more spools waiting to become bows.

What is the best thing to used to tie the korker bows? I have used thread, and I have tried a thin line of ribbon (1/8th) I think. I have seen elastic listed a few times but forgot to pick some thin elastic up.

If I use elastic to tie, will the bow look fuller? My second attempt seems sparse on top but thick towards the bottom.

Will using a stiffening spray help them stand up better?

TIA!

I use the elastic ties. I like them before they work great for me. I line them up, tie them (pulling as hard as I can without breaking the elastic). Then I tie a dead knot. It seems to stand up more when I make a super tie knot. I don't know if it looks fuller, but it sure stands up nicely . To make it more secure, I put a little bit of E6000 over the dead knot.

You can buy elastic ties at Michaels (I just saw some today when I went. A spool of 3 holiday colors for $0.59. Hey no one is gonna see the elastic anyhow, so who cares if they are holiday color .

Also, if your bow is fuller on the bottom, you can put an embellishment thing in the center to make it look like it is suppose to fuller on the bottom (hope that makes sense).

My online store:

Old 01-02-2008, 07:45

I use Embroidery thread in the same color as the ribbon. I think this works the best and you really can not see it since it matches
Old 01-02-2008, 07:47

I sew mine with embroidery thread. Like stringing pop corn.

ISO: manners
Old 01-02-2008, 08:02

I pull TIGHT with 1/8 ribbon. (matching)

I use the L brackets to line the korks perfectly then tie off with the ribbon. Haven't had one come apart yet. (about a year for me making the bows)
Old 01-02-2008, 08:09

you may already have these instructions:

RibbonQueen.com

but they're instructions for korkers and talk about the L brackets, like in the post above

ISO: manners
Old 01-05-2008, 07:14

Thank you ladies! I do have the L brackets, I'm just waiting for hubby to get/give me a board to screw them to.

I forgot to pick up elastic when we were out (I looked and was going to go back to get it-my son decided it was time to go home to get a nap I didn't even make it to look at any thread.

So I guess whatever I decide to use I will just have to make sure it is tied really tight?
Sponsored Links