New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:59

Default Tied vs. Sewn Korkers

Can you ladies share your thoughts on tied vs. sewn korkers. Currently I tie mine with elastic thread and I think it's super easy and works great. Super happy with the results. However, I've been reading some posts about sewing them and how much better you think they turn out. My concern is not so much about sewing being more durable than tying but just the overall appearance and the number of korkers need to complete the bow.

Right now I use roughly 27-32 korkers per bow. How many are you ladies using when you sew them? And when you sew them do you keep all of the spirals turning in the same direction or do you flip them over some times (does that make sense?)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and imput!

www.mycutiepea.etsy.com
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 04-15-2009, 07:12

Default Re: Tied vs. Sewn Korkers

I have always cut mine to 3 inches and use 30 pieces. Since, I have recently started sewing them, I think I will try to do some 2 inch ones and see how they turn out. I think I put all my spirals the same direction, but not entirely sure I understand the question. I kind of rotate the pieces around as I put them on the needle. Here's a picture of one of mine that has been sewn for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5216.JPG (51.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-15-2009, 07:16

I can't figure out how to tie them, so I guess I'm in the sewing team. :0)

I cut mine short, 2.5 inches or less, and I use about 30. It's hard to describe the way the curl is going, but my needle goes thru the ribbon with the printed side facing down. KWIM?? So the curl is facing up 'U'. This keeps the ribbon wanting to fluff up to cover the stitches, and it looks like a puff ball.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:43

I am on the sewing side for korkers. I don't sell many big korkers, I do alot of the smaller sets. I cut them at 2" and use 30-35 in each set. Here are some for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3016.jpg (176.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 3033.jpg (265.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-15-2009, 09:55

I started sewing mine and I find that they look fuller with fewer peices and color distribution is better and more controlled.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49

I am very new to korkers and have only made a couple now but I sew them. I found a video on you tube and she showed how easy it was to sew. To me it looked a lot easier than tying them. Basically you hold you needle and place korker ribbon on in the order you want, use the needle for as long as possible and push them down when full or done. Go back through all the ribbon with the needle and then tie tight. You leave about 3 inches at the end before sewing to help tie your korker at the end together. Hope that makes sense.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:12

I sew mine.. Look more poofy to me that way...
Old 04-16-2009, 06:02

I also sew...couldn't make them look nice tying them. I make three basic sizes...cut to 1 1/2" (use 12 pieces), 2" (15 pieces) and 3" (use 24 pieces). I think that thay look full and nice with this amount. I do also use 1/4" ribbon korked on 1/4" dowels.

I do know what you are talking about turning some of them over. I used to try to do that but I didn't like the end result as well. But when they are all the same way they do want to nestle into each other. I never used to like using any kind of stiffener but now I like to arrange all the korks so they are not nestled and then lightly spray them to keep them seperated.

Hope that helps a little!
Sponsored Links