New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-09-2009, 08:29

Default Korker Question

Hello,

I am hoping a few experts can give me some advice.

I am making a korker bow for my daughter for Easter. Last night I baked the ribbon on 1/4" dowel.

Just wondering if I should spray them with anything before removing them from the doweling?

Also, wondering when cutting them to the size I want do I measure with the curls in them? I figured I would but just wanted to double check before cutting.

My daughter is 15 months old and am looking for one bow for her hair. Thinking I will put it on an alligator clip, that I am lining first. Was thinking of cutting at 3 inches. Does this sound to big for her size?

Also, with clippies that I have made her I don't use non-slip as they don't seem to fall out but wondering if I will have to put something on a korker as it would be heavier? If so, any quick suggestions for this bow?

Thanks everyone for any help as I really want her to have a nice bow to wear.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 09:06

Default Re: Korker Question

I do not spray my kokers and they keep their shape nicely, I use a 3/16 dowel though. As for the cutting, cut it with the curl, so if you want 3 inches (which may bea little big for her) cut your ribbon at 3 inches, this will give you a 3.5 inch korker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya19 View Post
Hello,

I am hoping a few experts can give me some advice.

I am making a korker bow for my daughter for Easter. Last night I baked the ribbon on 1/4" dowel.

Just wondering if I should spray them with anything before removing them from the doweling?

Also, wondering when cutting them to the size I want do I measure with the curls in them? I figured I would but just wanted to double check before cutting.

My daughter is 15 months old and am looking for one bow for her hair. Thinking I will put it on an alligator clip, that I am lining first. Was thinking of cutting at 3 inches. Does this sound to big for her size?

Also, with clippies that I have made her I don't use non-slip as they don't seem to fall out but wondering if I will have to put something on a korker as it would be heavier? If so, any quick suggestions for this bow?

Thanks everyone for any help as I really want her to have a nice bow to wear.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:46

I use a 3/8 dowel, wrap the ribbon tightly and don't leave a space between the ribbon. Bake at 275 degrees for about 20 minutes...let them cool. When you cut them, cut them curled. If you cut 3", you'll a bow that measures 3 1/2". I agree, 3" might be a bit big for her. Try a 2" cut which will give you a 2 1/2" bow. Good luck .

Between "Life" and Homeschooling...
if I don't laugh...I'll start to cryMolly
Old 04-09-2009, 10:57

Thank you! I am just hoping my dowel isn't to big for her now. I guess I try it and if it doesn't work, try it again with a smaller one. Thanks for the 2" suggestion as she is not very big. I also left little gaps when I was wrapping. I guess I know for next time not to.

Now, just hoping the two kids nap today so I can get cutting..lol.

Thanks again and this forum is wonderful!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:16

You could always use a skinnier ribbon, I love the 1/4" grosgrain and 1/8" satin for baby korkers.

Facebook Group for Destash and Wholesaling your items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Craf...handWholesale/
Old 04-09-2009, 11:34

does 1/8 grosgrain work well also for babies?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:34

I use it myself, it's just hard to find 1/8" grosgrain. When I find it, I ususally buy whatever they have. It makes a tiny 1 - 1/2" korker if you use the satin and cut them to about an 1". If you cut longer, they are more droopy, or dangle more in the hair. Just depends if the child has alot of hair and you have a pony tail, or your gonna clip it to a headband. I wish I had access to my pictures at work, I could post one, but I'm not able to during the day.

Facebook Group for Destash and Wholesaling your items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Craf...handWholesale/
Old 04-09-2009, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgarrido View Post
I use it myself, it's just hard to find 1/8" grosgrain. When I find it, I ususally buy whatever they have. It makes a tiny 1 - 1/2" korker if you use the satin and cut them to about an 1". If you cut longer, they are more droopy, or dangle more in the hair. Just depends if the child has alot of hair and you have a pony tail, or your gonna clip it to a headband. I wish I had access to my pictures at work, I could post one, but I'm not able to during the day.
I get all my 1/8 from united beads. I never thought about using satin for korkers. I cut mine at 2 " and they drop. Thanks for the great tips.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:58

I would love to see a picture. Does the satin have to be 100% polyester?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:30

I mostly use the satin that you find at JoAnn's, Michaels, and AC Moore. I believe most of it is from Offray, so some is a little stiffer than others. It's usually .50 to $1.00 per role. Sometimes on sale, Wal-Mart carries it also. It makes either a small lightweight korker, or you can cut it longer for it to dangle down. I have no idea how to download a picture, if someone would let me know how to do that I would be glad to send a pic of one made with 1/8" ribbon.

Sponsored Links