New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-10-2009, 11:08

Default Re: Korker Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpatscher View Post
This may be a really silly question, but I am new to this too and I was wondering if you need to spray the ribbon with water before you cook it?
As you know I am new at this but from my reading you don't as some thread told me it would smell funny and take longer to bake as it has to dry first. But then again I am totally new at korkers.

Thanks everyone for all the great tips. I just got finished cutting and doing the ends with my candle, so going to try to tie it soon.

I have some 10 yard spools of 100% polyester that I bought for something, else but may try baking them to see how they turn out as well. I am in Canada so they come on sale often at Michael's for 3 for a $1.00. I believe the regular price is $0.59 each.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 10:26

I usually spray my ribbon with starch and that seems to work well, but I am definitely NOT an expert. I just make them for my daughter/gifts for friends. I have used spray starch on both satin and grossgrain ribbons. I spray them prior to baking them. They do smell a bit when you take them out of the oven, but the scent tends to fade away.

I do have a question though, I usually just wing it when making my Korkers, and never pay attention to how many pieces of ribbon I am using when putting them together. How many pieces of the cut Korker do you use as a rule of thumb (for 3/8" wide ribbon)? I sometimes make them and they are so heavy/full that they are almost too big for my 17 month-old's head!!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:58

For my korker pigtail sets, I use 5 yds. of 3/8" on 1/4" dowels. They are cut at 2". For the 1/8" ribbon, I use about 6 yds for grosgrain ribbon and 10 yds of the satin ribbon. They are cut at about 2 1/2" and I wrap them on the smaller dowel 3/16" (? I think). HTH

Amanda
Old 04-13-2009, 12:47

I don't spray mine before I cook them. I just wrap them tightly. Also, when I make a korker, I use about 35-40 2" 3/8 pieces.

Between "Life" and Homeschooling...
if I don't laugh...I'll start to cryMolly
Old 04-13-2009, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilag01 View Post
For my korker pigtail sets, I use 5 yds. of 3/8" on 1/4" dowels. They are cut at 2". For the 1/8" ribbon, I use about 6 yds for grosgrain ribbon and 10 yds of the satin ribbon. They are cut at about 2 1/2" and I wrap them on the smaller dowel 3/16" (? I think). HTH

Amanda

thanks, this is very helpful!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:16

do any of you ladies have problemsw/ the ribbon turning brown when trying to seal the ends w/ lighter? I think it might be b/c i sprayed it w/ starch. How are ya'll sealing the ends and preventing it to turn colors?

TIA!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:05

A lot of women on here use a lighter, but I am not skilled with fire! I fry the ribbon every time. Maybe I don't have enough practice. I just use fray check that you can buy at walmart or a fabric store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzabealle View Post
do any of you ladies have problemsw/ the ribbon turning brown when trying to seal the ends w/ lighter? I think it might be b/c i sprayed it w/ starch. How are ya'll sealing the ends and preventing it to turn colors?

TIA!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:25

Thanks for all the handy tips.. And love the Korkers in the Pictures..
Old 04-15-2009, 07:28

I like the satin ribbon for pony tail streamers. Those look pretty with the floppy look. Here is one I made for my daughter for v-day. She was a junior bride's maid, and I thought it looked really pretty flowing thru her hair.
Tip-Tops-Spot: Making a waterfall korker

Generally, though, I don't like the satin ribbon. I like ribbon to be stiff. So, I starch them, wrap them tightly, cook them and cut them short.

And I attached the following pic because I finally figured out how to!! :0)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg purple.jpg (31.1 KB, 19 views)