New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-08-2009, 04:29
Default Dyeing headbands

Ok I must be really dumb here but what dye do you use to dye headbands made from kneehighs?
All I want is to make a red one....and it seems all I end up with is various shades of pink! LOL
Good thing I have lots of them to experiment with cause I sure am not getting red!
Can someone help.
Jenni in CA

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 05:03
Default Re: Dyeing headbands

How long r u letting them sit and what color are you using to start with? It might work better with little girl pink tights than try to dye red. Thats what I do with the crochet hats usually and silk flowers.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:11

I have a bunch if you are interested. If so let me know how many and what shade of red. I would sell them for .30 a piece- just to cover my cost.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:16

What type of dye are you using? Rit? Make sure to soak in hot water for a long time so that the dye sinks in. I would prewash the nylons if possible. If you're going to be doing more in the future, I highly recommend procion dyes. You get a more vibrant color that lasts longer than with Rit.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:26

Nylon has a different structure than other fibers. There are specific dyes for this fabric because the others won't dye as well. Dylon is made specifically for nylon. There are also websites around that talk about dying with food color (which IS compatible with nylon). I've done food color myself, and have had mixed results. Some brands of nylon take it well, others not so well.

Good luck!
Moderator for Ribbonheaven. Click here to learn more about RibbonHeaven!

Sponsored Links
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies