http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/disney-minnie-mickey-mouse-ribbon-52yd-store.jpg zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/20pc-1.5in-petal-flower-clips-cm.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3-8-frog-grosgrain-ribbon.jpg cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
HipGirl 12pc Grosgrain Ribbon Wrapped 1/2" Headbands + Matching Large Hair Bow Alligator Clips. Interchangable Assorted Fashion Accessory for Girl Women Teen Kid Toddler Children Adult

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-08-2009, 12:18

Default Layered Boutique Bow

Does anyone have a good size formula for making layered boutique bows. I'm gettin better at them but i still spend quite a bit of time getting the sizing of base bow, spikes, loopy surrounds, and topper bow all made and looking uniformly from bow to bow-so that all my bows are the same size. i guess what i'm asking is do you have a certain size that you make all base bows, and all spikes,and all toppers. I'm wanting to cut down on time spent on them. Hope that made sense!
Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2009, 02:19

Default Re: Layered Boutique Bow

Great question, I have no answers, but would love to know what others have to say!
Old 04-08-2009, 06:32

Me too. I'll make a pretty one, and then I don't want to take it apart to remember the measurements.

Somewhere I read that the surrounds are an inch bigger then the cut for the first bow, and that the base bow is five inches less than the cut for the first bow, and the spikes are six inches.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:33

and I know the obvious answer is to write down the measurements BEFORE you make the bow, just in case you like it. But I always forget!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermayi View Post
Me too. I'll make a pretty one, and then I don't want to take it apart to remember the measurements.

Somewhere I read that the surrounds are an inch bigger then the cut for the first bow, and that the base bow is five inches less than the cut for the first bow, and the spikes are six inches.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:38

I know i always forget too. i did one today that turned out alright structurally but colorwise looks terrible. lol. i'm completely out of ribbon and waiting on a shipment so i did it with just some random color scraps. pretty hideous!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:41

I just have a photo album with the pockets that I keep all of my sample cuts of ribbon in. I label either the ribbon or the page (ex: Small Boutique front, Small Boutique Spike, Small Boutique back, etc.). I use those samples to fill my orders and cut the ribbon the length of whatever bow is on the order. That way each kind of bow that I offer is the exact same size everytime. Hope that helps!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:54

Well, here are the measurements that I use and a picture of one of my layered bows so you can see what I am talking about.
Base bow- you can't really see it in the picture, but I use 1.5" grosgrain cut at 24 inches
spikes- 5 1/2 inches each
3/8 inch loopies- cut at 12 inches each (there are 4 of them total)
center inside bow- 16-18 inches depending on the size of ribbon

I hope this helps. I am very OCD about them all being the same size, so I measure EVERY time! Plus it helps me know how far my ribbon will go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5139.JPG (48.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57

that really does help a lot. for your base do you a boutique bow, and upside down boutique or just a flatter base bow? I know what you mean about the ocd thing. i'm one of those that half the time i get so frustrated trying to make it exact that i just wanna quit! lol
Old 04-09-2009, 12:17

I would say I just use a standard boutique bow for the base, though I am not sure if there is a standard definition. Here are a couple more pictures of a different style bow that I do, but it uses the same size/type base bow. You can see the base bow better in these pictures. Does this help more?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5181.JPG (27.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5183.JPG (33.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-09-2009, 12:34

yeah that def. helps. thanks!!!
Sponsored Links